Southwark St Thomas, Surrey Genealogy, England
Guide to Southwark St Thomas, Surrey ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Southwark St Thomas, Surrey , England|
|Poor Law Union||St Olave|
|Registration District||St Olave Southwark|
|Parish registers: 1614|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1800|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - Winchester; Post-1845 - London|
|Probate Court||Pre-1846 - Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey; Post-1845 - Court of the Bishop of London (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Surrey Record Office|
'SOUTHWARK St Saviour Cathedral is an ancient parish and has registers commencing from the year 1538, is the principal church of these five ancient parishes in this metropolitan borough. The borough lies on the south side of the River Thames, opposite the City of London; attached with the city by the London, Southwark, and Blackfriars bridges;
'The five ancient parishes of Southwark include; St Thomas, St Saviour, St Olave, St George the Martyr, and Christ Church..
The ecclesiastical arrangement for Southwark included also the following chapelries:
- All Hallow, Copperfield St - 1875
- St Alphege - 1872
- St Jude - 1850
- St Mary Magdalen - 1843
- St Michael - 1867
- St Paul Westminster Road.- 1858
- St Peter - 1846
- St Stephen - 1850
- St Thomas Hosptial Chapel - 1690
- Wilberforce Mission Church -
The places of worship within the new borough, which included also the parish incumbencies of Horsley-Down, Bermondsey, and Rotherhithe.
Included in the borough are the following Nonconformist churches:
- English Presbyterian Church - 1
- Independents - 1
- Baptists - 15
- Quakers - 1
- Unitarians - 1
- Wesleyan Methodists - 7
- Primitive Methodists - 1
- Wesleyan Association - 3
- Wesleyan Reformers - 1
- Welsh Calvinistic Methodists - 1
- Roman Catholics - 3
There were four additional unspecified dissenting chapels in the borough as well.
Southwark had, as of 1870, three registration districts ('St Saviour, St Olave, and St George), within the borough. Southwark, parlimentary borough, Surrey, on river Thames, opposite London city.
Borough Of Southwark. (In the Diocese of Winchester).
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Non Conformist Churches
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474670.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Surrey Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
- John Marius Wilson,Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales(1870) Date accessed: 11 November 2013.
- John Bartholomew Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887. Adapted. Date accessed: 18 February 2014.
- London Eccesiastical jurisdiction. A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Adapted. Date accessed: 18 February 2014.
- London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Thomas in Southwark Borough. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as Southwark St Thomas in Southwark Borough and St Thomas in Southwark Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as Southwark St Thomas in Southwark Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as Southwark St Thomas in Southwark Borough and St Thomas in Southwark Borough. Partially indexed.
- Batch P015601, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (N-Z), England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 17 March 2012.
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net (WayBack Machine), accessed 27 March 2012.
- 'Greater London Burials: South London Burials: Parishes, Period and Counts,' British Origins (£), accessed 4 April 2013.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm