St. Clears, Carmarthenshire Genealogy
A guide to genealogy in St. Clears, with information on where to find birth, baptism, marriage, death and burial records; census records; wills; cemeteries; maps; etc.
CLEAR'S, ST. (ST. CLARE'S), a parish, in the higher division of the hundred of DERRLYS, union and county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, on the road from Carmarthen to Haverfordwest, 9 miles (W. by S.) from Carmarthen. The TOWN is situated at the confluence of the Guinning with the Tâf, which discharge their united waters into the bay of Carmarthen, at the small town of Laugharne, a few miles to the South: it consists of one straggling street, nearly a mile in length, neither lighted nor paved, but well supplied with water, and contains many good dwelling houses. Several respectable shops have been lately built; the old houses renovated, and other improvements made. The surrounding district is highly productive of corn and butter, which are here shipped for Bristol, Cardiff, Bridgwater, Southampton, and other ports. The church, which is situated on the banks of the Guinning, is of considerable antiquity. There are two places of worship for Independents, and one each for Wesleyan Methodists and Unitarians.
For more information on St. Clears see St. Clears at Genuki.
|before 31 March 1974||Carmarthenshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Dyfed|
|from 1 April 1996||Carmarthenshire|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Union Records
Maps and Gazetteers
- St. Clears at Vision of Britain.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales Adapted. Date accessed: 16 January 2014.