St John, Cornwall Genealogy
Guide to St John, Cornwall ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|St John, Cornwall|
St John Cornwall contributor Tony Atkin
|Poor Law Union||St Germans|
|Registration District||St Germans|
|Parish registers: 1582|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1611|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall|
|Location of Archive|
|Cornwall Record Office|
JOHN, ST., a parish, in the union of St. Germans, S. division of the hundred of East, E. division of Cornwall, 6 miles (S. E. by E.) from St. Germans. 
The parish church is dedicated to St John (originally it was dedicated to St John the Evangelist but from 1912 the dedication was changed to St John the Baptist).
The parish is opposite Plymouth, Devon, separated from it by St John's Lake, an inlet of The Hamoaze in Plymouth Sound.
St John parish is in the St Germans Registration District. To the north, the parish is bordered by St John's Lake and to the south by the sea. To the east, the parish is bordered by Millbrook ,Cornwall, to the south-east by Maker, Cornwall and to the west by Antony, Cornwall parish.
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD.
St John, Cornwall Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|St John, Cornwall Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Images of parish registers are available online at FamilySearch Images refer to Cornwall Record Office reference: P 93
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource is the Cornwall Online Parish Clerks page for the parish. In addition the Online Parish Clerk has contributed to the website for the Rame Peninsula with other parishes Rame, Cornwall Maker, Cornwall St Germans, CornwallSheviock, Cornwall
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241259.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cornwall Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable websites are:
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain
St John in GENUKI
- Lewis,Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 631-640. Date accessed: 06 March 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 2 December 2013.
- 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- 'Cornwall Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 18 November 2013.
- 'England, Cornwall and Devon Parish Registers, 1538-2010', FamilySearch, accessed 26 November 2013.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Cornwall, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 21 November 2013.