St Martin, Cornwall Genealogy
MARTIN, ST., a parish, in the union of Liskeard, hundred of West, E. division of Cornwall; containing, with the town of East Looe, 1402 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the west by Looe harbour, and on the south by the English Channel; The Wesleyans have a place of worship.. Here was formerly a nunnery.
St Martin Isles of Scilly is a parish on the isle of St Martin.
The church was rebuilt in 1866, after having been considerably damaged by lightning. The bell in the turret belonged to a vessel wrecked on the islands. There is a 20th century extension at the west end. The stained glass window at the east end depicts Saint Martin and the Beggar and is by Clayton and Bell. The church is a Grade II listed building.
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
St Martin, Cornwall Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|St Martin, Cornwall Genealogy Online Parish Records|
||1677-1794, 1869-1885|| |
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241275.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cornwall Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable websites are:
- 1851 Jurisdiction Maps
- Vision of Britain