St Mary's Chapel, Bulverhythe, Sussex Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Chapel History

The ruined 14th century Roman Catholic chapel of St Mary's Bulverhythe survives in part.

Norman-era stones were incorporated into the rebuilt 13th-century parish church of Bulverhythe, which was a prebend of the original St Mary-in-the-Castle Church. The last record of worship taking place in the building was in 1372, after which it became derelict and collapsed.  The parish existed in name only until the 19th century.

The ruins have been designated as a grade II listed building British listed building

Sussex Online Parish Clerks (OPC) Ruined chapel of St Mary (Roman Catholic)

see also Hastings Places of worship Wikipedia