St Mary Aldermanbury, London Genealogy
London St Mary Aldermanbury ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Guide to parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|St Mary Aldermanbury, London|
|Hundred||London, Within the Walls|
|Poor Law Union||City of London|
|Registration District||London City|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1800|
|Probate Court||Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (London Division)|
|Location of Archive|
|London Record Office|
- 1 Parish History
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Church records
- 2.2 Census records
- 2.3 Civil Registration
- 2.4 Probate records
- 2.5 Cemetery
- 2.6 Records of the Poor
- 3 Maps and Gazetteers
- 4 Websites
- 5 References
'It is a curacy in the city, diocese and archdeaconry of London, and in the patronage of the parishioners.'
The church building was bombed during World War II. 'It was re-erected in 1969 in the United States of America at Westminster College, Fulton, Missouri.'
The parish was also known as St Mary the Virgin Aldermanbury Parish.
1848 parish description
St. Mary, Aldermanbury, with St. Thomas, are parishes of the city of London Within the Walls. The patron is, the Parishioners. They are within the poor-law union of the City of London.
Publications of the Harleian Society Parish Registers Series published the parish registers (baptisms 1538-1837, marriages 1538-1837, burials 1538-1859).
Webb published an index to burials for the years 1813 to 1859.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
- St Mary, Aldermanbury, Cripplegate Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/145/220); copy: FHL Film 2228700.
- St Mary, Aldermanbury, Cripplegate Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/145/142); copy: FHL Film 2228700.
- 1582 London Subsidy Roll, Cripplegate Ward - (St. Mary) Aldermanbury Parisheat British History Online
1666 Hearth Tax
1667 Hearth Tax
- St Mary, Aldermanbury, Cripplegate Within Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/147/630); copy: FHL Film 2228702.
1692-1932 Land Taxes
1695 Inhabitants Lists
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Will indexes for probate courts covering St Mary Aldermanbury Parish are available online.
Before 1858, St Mary Aldermanbury, London Genealogy fell under the jurisdiction of the Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London. From 1858 to the present, refer to the Principal Probate Registry.
Go to London Probate Records to find the names of the courts having secondary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish.
Transcripts of early St Mary Aldermanbury, London Genealogy tombs found in the interior of the church were published in Catalogue of the most Memorable Persons who had visible Tombs, plated Gravestones ... in the City of London (through) A.D. 1700, which is available online.
Records of the Poor
During the seventeenth century, officials gave some foundlings discovered in St Mary Aldermanbury Parish the unique surname Aldermanbury. Nonsuch is another surname given to foundlings here.
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites(The London Family History Centre Catalogue is a terrific resource for identifying FamilySearch's London collections).
- London Family History Centre Catalogue (St Mary Aldermanbury Parish records)
- Sketch of St Mary Aldermanbury Parish Churchat London Ancestor
- Society of Genealogists Library Catalogue (to narrow results, conduct a subject search for 'London St Mary Aldermanbury')
- James Elmes, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Environs (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digitised by Google Books.
- 'Site of St. Mary the Virgin,' Friends of The City Churches, accessed 18 October 2011.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 129-170. Adapted. Date accessed: 19 December 2013.
- London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Mary Aldermanbury in the City of London. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Mary Aldermanbury in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Mary Aldermanbury in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Mary Aldermanbury in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- Batches C001522, P001521, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 8 June 2011.
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net, accessed 12 June 2011; Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists Enterprises Ltd., 1994). FHL Book 942 K22L 1994
- 'Boyd's London Burials Index - places and counts,' Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes adult male burials only.
- Batch M001521, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes parish register transcripts and parish registers.
- John Hanson, 'City of London Burials,' Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011.
- 'Webb's London Marriages - Marriages, periods and parishes/churches,' (Wayback Machine) British Origins, accessed 4 July 2011.
- 'Greater London Burials: Middlesex and City of London Burials: Parishes, Counts and References,' (Wayback Machine) British Origins (£), accessed 4 April 2013.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm
- Stuart A. Raymond, London and Middlesex: A Genealogical Bibliography (Birmingham, UK: Federation of Family History Societies, c1997), Vol. 2:28.
- Cliff Webb, Some London Burials, Post-1812 (1979). FHL Book 942.1/L1 K29w.
- Payne Fisher and G. Blacker Morgan, Catalogue of the Tombs in the Churches of the City of London, A.D. 1666 (1668; reprint, London: Hasell, Watson, Viney, Ld., 1885). Digitised by Internet Archive.
- Percy C. Rushden, The Churchyard Inscriptions of the City of London (London: Phillimore and Co., Ltd., 1910). Digitised by Internet Archive.
- Nathan W. Murphy, 'London Foundlings in Colonial America: Overseas Leads to Dead Ends: John Abchurch, William Abchurch, Isaac Jewry, and Henry Woolchurch of Virginia and Maryland,' The American Genealogist, Vol. 83, No. 2 (Jul./Oct. 2008):131-140.