Stab Offendorf

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Stab is a German word for district. The Offendorf District was in Alsace in what is now Bas-Rhin, France.  From its formation until 1480 it was under the jurisdiction of the Lords of Lichtenberg.  In 1480 it came by marriage to the Lords of Bitsch-Zweibrücken and was under their jurisdiction until 1570.  In 1570 it was transferred by marriage and contracts to the dynastic state of Hanau-Lichtenberg. When that line was extinguished in 1736 the district was transferred to Hesse-Darmstadt. The rights of all nobility to Stab Offendorf were abolished effective 11 Aug 1789 by France. In 1790 the villages in Stab Offendorf were incorporated into the canton of Bischwiller.  French sovereignty over this district was confirmed by the Peace of Lunéville on 9 February 1801.

During the Reformation this district became Protestant.  With the revocation of the Edict of Nantes in 1685 four of the villiages were forced to "voluntarily" become Catholic.  Only Oberhoffen was allowed to remain Protestant.

The following villages were in Stab Offendorf:

Note:  Sometimes the German word Amt (district) is used in relation to the Offendorf District instead of Stab.

PUBLICATIONS

Heinrich, Martin. Geschichte und Geschichten von Oberhofen. Oberhoffen-sur-Moder: Verlag M. Heinrich, 1974, pp. 50-51.

Kocher, August. Die Aemter Offendorf und Bischweiler und die drie Dörfer Kaltenhausen, Schirrhein und Schirrhofen. Strassburg: Licht- und Buchdruck von Jul. Manias & Cie., 1907, see page 26-27 for jurisdictional history.