Sterling, Bingham County, Idaho Genealogy
Sterling, Idaho, is located along the Snake River in Bingham County, in the southeastern part of Idaho. Parts of the area that used to be considered Sterling were flooded when the American Falls Dam was built.
Aberdeen, Idaho, is to the south of Sterling. Springfield, Idaho, is to the north of Sterling. Pocatello, Idaho, and Fort Hall, Idaho, are on the other side of the Snake River from Sterling.
The Old Yuma Cemetery was once located northeast of Sterling, Idaho. Because of the encroaching reservoir formed by the American Falls dam, all the graves had to be relocated by the early 1940s; some to places unknown, some to Springfield, and some to Aberdeen.
The Sterling-Springfield Cemetery is located on Highway 39, just outside of Springfield, Idaho. The gravestones have been photographed and appear on www.findagrave.com.
The Aberdeen Cemetery is located south of Sterling in Aberdeen, Idaho. The gravestones have been photographed and appear on www.findagrave.com.
Church History and Records
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints created a Sterling Ward in 1912 as a local unit of the Blackfoot Stake. The Sterling Ward was later combined with the Springfield Ward. It is currently known as the Lakeview Ward and is a local unit of the American Falls Stake.
The Idaho State Archives in Boise has a collection of city, county, state and regional directories.
The Aberdeen Times currently covers the local news for Sterling, Idaho.
Copies of the Sterling times 1920:6:4-1920:6:25 are found in the Idaho State Archives in Boise, Idaho.
Some local news may have been covered in The Idaho News (printed in Blackfoot, Idaho). Copies of many of these old issues are available at the Blackfoot Public Library.