Stockton Poor Law Union, Durham Genealogy
Some almshouses, originally erected about the year 1682, were rebuilt in 1816, from a gift of £3000 by George Brown, Esq.; they contain a committee-room and dispensary, and thirty-six apartments. Elizabeth Bunting, in 1765, bequeathed the sum of £300 for the benefit of poor persons, which was invested in the purchase of £378. 13. three per cent, consols. The union comprises 42 parishes or places, of which 30 are in the county of Durham, and 12 in the N. riding of York; and contains altogether a population of 33,743.
From: 'Stockport - Stockwood', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 209-215. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51305 Date accessed: 27 March 2011.
For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: www.workhouses.org.uk and http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Stockton/Stockton.shtml
Parishes in the Union
Billingham, Durham Carlton, Durham Egglescliffe, Durham Elton, Durham Elwick Hall, Durham Greatham, Durham Grindon, Durham Hart, Durham Hartlepool, Durham High Worsall, Yorkshire Kirk Levington Long Newton, Durham Middlesbrough, Yorkshire Middlesbrough St Hilda Norton, Durham Redmarshall, Durham Seaton Carew, Durham Stainton in Cleveland, Yorkshire Stockton upon Tees St Thomas, Durham Stockton upon Tees Holy Trinity, Durham Stranton, Durham Thornaby West Acklam, Yorkshire Wolviston, Durham Yarm, Yorkshire