Surrey British Columbia Family History Centre
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Centre, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
- 1 Centre Contacts and Hours
- 2 Calendar and Events
- 3 Finding Your Roots Seminar - Saturday October 15th 2016 8:30 am to 4:30 pm with sign in beginning at 8:00 am
- 4 Centre Services
- 5 Staff and Research Specialties
Centre Contacts and Hours
Location and Map
- 6270 126th Street Surrey BC south side of building. There is a buzzer just to the left of the main doors to be buzzed.
- Parking is free for our patrons.
- Location on Map
Phone: 604 597 9695
SUMMER HOURS 2017 TBA
2016 Regular hours: Resumed September 13th 2016
• Tuesdays 10 am to 9 pm
• Wednesdays 10 am to 2 pm
• Thursdays 2 pm to 9 pm
Hope to see you there.
Holiday Closures 2016-2017
Closed all Statutory Holidays
Closed December 15th 2016 through January1st 2017
Closed June 16th 2017 through July 3rd 2017
- Please contact our centre to get up to date closures, to check our hours, or to arrange group visits or arrange special help.
NEW Exciting changes and new services
- • Story Catcher Kiosk - come record some of your story using our Story Catcher App. It is easy and fun for kids and adults. The App asks you questions and then records your answers as a video. There is even a set of questions to be answered by families so bring everyone. Only you will have access to the videos you produce and you can download them and share them with family if you wish. We only have this technology for a few months so come right away.
- •Make an appointment for your family: We have various family history exploration activities for children of all ages or for families to do together. Topics of the tubs are a toy exploration, a photo exploration, records exploration, migration exploration, and a temple exploration.We have a special family friendly area.
- • We have upgraded equipment and furnishings.
- Live in the Surrey BC area? Come get help with your genealogy.
Calendar and Events
Finding Your Roots Seminar - Saturday October 15th 2016 8:30 am to 4:30 pm with sign in beginning at 8:00 am
6270 126 St. Surrey BC Canada
38 classes on many different topics.
Online registration available at www.findingyourroots.ca September 1st 2016 through October 13th 2016 with an option to purchase a lunch online.
Pre-registration does not guarantee a space in a particular class but it helps us put classes in rooms with adequate space for the patrons. It also allows preparation of an adequate number of handouts.
Drop ins are also welcome.
**Handouts will be only be available on the website to patrons who register before the seminar. Printed handouts will not be available at the seminar for most classes. So do pre-register and download and/or print your handouts.
Confirmed Speakers List
Leslie Anderson from Ancestry.ca will present 3 classes: Ancestry's Online Family Trees, Searching Canadian Records, and What Will You Discover With Ancestry DNA?
Pat & Dave Burns - LDS Family History Centre Resources
George Caldwell - Scotland: Getting the Most out of Scottish Genealogical Resources on the Internet
Marlene Dance - United Empire Loyalists
Sally Haysom - Involving Family in Family History
Christine Hitchmough - Getting Started With FamilySearch Family Tree, and FamilySearch: Searching the Records
Mary Kathryn Kozy will present two DNA classes and a class on Social Media
Gayel Knott - a class on Source Citations and a class Types of Records and how to use them
Andrea Lister - Copyright for Print & Digital, and Using Druin Records
Cathy Magee - What's New at the British Columbia Genealogical Society's Library
Paul MacDonell - Cloverdale Library: Resources for Family History
Dave Obee will present 3 classes including one on research in Eastern Europe.
Brian Porter - Advanced England - topic TBA
Eunice Robinson - Ireland, Getting Started at Genealogy, and Using MS Word to Write Family History
Diane Rogers - Blogging Your Family History
Susan Snalem - English Research Using the FamilySearch Wiki
Brenda Smith - Marriage records, Organize, and a Scottish Canadian Case Study
Jeannie Vance - FamilySearch Family Tree: Adding Memories & Creating Sources
Karen Inkster Vance - Objects With a Story to Tell and Using Photos to Enhance Your Family History
Also classes by representative from Cloverdale Library and the British Columbia Genealogical Society regarding their resources.
5 Rootstech Videos from RootsTech 2016
- FamilySearch Catalog Online Films: You can order your films online and have the items sent to our Family Search Centre to view.
- Over 1500 extended films ub in the centre
- Thousands of books and fiche all dealing with research from all parts of the world.
- Up to date film indexes for Ontario.
- An Extended films and fiche database of all the extended films in our center. It is organized by country for easy searching.
- A Book File listing all books held by this center is available for search at the Centre.
- A new films and new books listing of materials added to the center is available for search at the Centre.
BC Genealogist Vol 43 # 2 June 2014
BC Genealogist Vol 44 # 2 June 2015
BC Genealogist Vol 44 # 2 Sept 2015
Previous Acquisitions from the past two years:
Iceland 1703 Census The 1703 Census of the whole of Iceland continued in a second binder.
Iceland 1703 , 1729 Census The 1703 Census of the whole of Iceland continued. The 1729 Census of the whole of Iceland.
Iceland 1762 Census Index Index to the 1762 Census for Iceland
Iceland 1801 Census Index Index to the 1801 Census for Iceland
Iceland 1801 Census Index with Family Groups Index to the 1801 Census for Iceland with Family Groups
Iceland 1816 Census Index Iceland 1816 Census Index - Last name Index
Iceland 1845 Census Index Binder 1 Iceland 1845 Census Index Binder 1 / Book 1 Surnames Abela - Gudlaug
Iceland 1845 Census Index Binder 2 Iceland 1845 Census Index Binder 2 / Book 2 Surnames Gudlaugur - Hoskuldur
Iceland 1845 Census Index Binder 3 Iceland 1845 Census Index Binder 3 / Book 3 Surnames Idbjorg - Kristin
Iceland 1845 Census Index Binder 4 Iceland 1845 Census Index Binder 4 / Book 4 Surnames Kristjana - Sigridur
Iceland 1845 Census Index Binder 5 Iceland 1845 Census Index Binder 5 / Book 5 Surnames Sigrun - Ossur
Iceland Guide to 1703, 1729, 1801 Volume 1, Volume 2, 1816, 1845 Guide to the complete Census for Iceland for 1703, 1729, 1801 Volume 1 Volume 2, 1816, 1845
- NEW BOOKS:
Planters and Pioneers, Limited Revised Edition 2006 - Dr. Esther Clark Wright - Justin Wentzell publisher - early New Brunswick settlers.
Ukraine Ukrainian Research 2013 State Archives 947.7 Villages within Parishes. Languages for months of the year translation. Ukrainian American Collection. Manuscript collections. Other resources Ukraine ( internet ) Ukrainians in North America by Professor Bohdan P. Procko 20-Sep-13
Canada Canadian National Censuses 1871,1881,1891,1901 2002 Family Search 971 How to navigate census giving Family History Library film number. 20-Sep-13
Canada Ontario Land Records 2003 Family Search 971 How to search Ontario Land records. Steps 1 by surname, Step 2 by land by description, Step 3 by probate records, Step 4 other types. Book referenced 'Genealogy in Ontario, Searching the Records', Brenda D. Merreman is in our Surrey FHC Library. 20-Sep-13
CanadaThis is Alberta 1963 The Albertan 971.2 This is Alberta is a compilation of newpaper articles from ' The Albertan ' Articles include - this is Alberta p 91, day of the fur traders p 93 - 8, Grain - Keystone of our Economy and Canada's stock in trade. Look back at pioneer life, pioneer past. Railway, planes, oil, tar sands, gas, banks, nature, agriculture. History of Alberta. 20-Sep-13
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal: This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to subscription websites.
- Premium Databases Include the following
- 19th Century British Library Newspaper Digital Archive
- Alexander Street Press• The American Civil War: Research Database, Letters and Diaries, Images, Photographs, Posters, and Ephemera, Social and Cultural History, Women and Social Movements in the United States
- Ancestry.com - Institution version
- Archive Digital
- Findmypast - Institution version
- Kinpoint - Premium
- MyHeritage - Library Edition
- Paper Trail
- ProQuest Obituary Listings
- Puzzilla.org - Premium Services
- World Vital Records- All content has been added to MyHeriage.com (They purchased WVR)
- We also have database programs for information storing of your genealogical work such as PAF (Personal Ancestral File), Legacy, Roots Magic, and Ancestral Quest to name a few. We have the deluxe paid versions at our centre. You may download the basic free version for use at home.
Hardware and Equipment
Our centre has 11 computers, 3 printers, 3 fiche readers, 5 film readers including 2 high magnification readers, 1 digital film/fiche reader and a multi functional digital copier/scanner/printer. We recently added 10 computers with Windows 7 to replace old computers.
We now have a StoryCatcher where you can record your own story by answering a series of questions posed by the program. You will be videotaped and a link to the videos will be emailed to you so you can download and save the videos. Record in private. There is also an option for a family to record their family stories together.
Group Visits - youth groups, adult groups, children's groups and family groups, etc.-email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the centre at "+16045367571[[Image:]]+16045367571" for information on booking and what types of instruction are available, etc.
- • We have a Lexmark printer that patrons can use to scan pictures and documents directly to Family Tree. Patrons can then use our computers to go in to Family Tree where we can help them connect the images and documents to their ancestors.
- • Patrons can also scan photos to memory sticks.
- • Patrons at the center have free access to 12 premium databases including Ancestry and Find My Past. We can help you get the most out of these.
- • Our friendly staff can assist with uploading images and doing research using FamilySearch and the Premium Databases.
- • We offer monthly seminars during the winter months to help patrons learn new skills and these are free and open to the community.
- • We book group appointments to help youth groups and families learn more about their families.
- • We teach individuals and groups how to do FamilySearch Indexing, research using FamilySearch, complete the My Family booklet and enter data in Family Tree.
- • We can help you create fan charts, photo pedigrees, etc. using Treeseek
- • We can help you use Puzzilla to find more cousins.
Staff and Research Specialties
Director: Jeannie Vance
Assistant Director: Sara Herrington
Patron Services Coordinator: Jeannie Vance
Technical Coordinator: Don McGonigal
Training Coordinator: Jeannie Vance
Scheduling Coordinator: Barbara McMullin
Associate Administrator: Jacquie Jarvis
Film Orders Coordinator: Marion Blaikie, Jeannie Vance
Japanese Genealogy Specialist: Joy Araki - only until July 2016 so call right away if you want help.