Sutton was chartered on February 26, 1782 by the Vermont Legislature. Chartered as Billymead to Dr. Jonathan Arnold of Rhode Island and associates, and named for Arnold's younger son, William. By 1810, townsfolk had had enough of Billy and his name due to his bullying and drunken behavior, and at a town meeting they voted overwhelmingly to change the name to Sutton.
FamilySearch Historical Records Collection has Vermont birth, death, and marriage records online.
The probate district for Sutton is Caledonia
Caledonia Probate Division
1126 Main St, Ste 1
St Johnsbury, VT 05819
Phone: (802) 748-6605
The following is a list of major cemeteries in present-day Sutton. For location of all cemeteries, see Cemeteries of Vermont, Caledonia County, website at this link.
- East Ridge Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- North Ridge Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- South Ridge Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Sutton Village Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
Town Clerk Vital and Town Records, 1918-2000, can be found on FamilySearch (browse only images).
The Family History Library has microfilm of original records from the Sutton Town Clerk's Office. These include Records of births, marriages, and deaths, 1868-2000; indexes to births, marriages, deaths, 1779-1992, Land records, 1791-1912, and Town records, 1779-1940.
Sutton Town Clerk
167 Underpass Rd.
Sutton, VT 05867
Libraries and Historical Societies
Northeast Kingdom Genealogy - Genealogy resources for towns in the counties of Essex, Orleans and Caledonia.
- About Sutton, Vermont - http://www.virtualvermont.com/towns/sutton.html#about
- Sutton, Vermont - http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~vermont/CaledoniaSutton.html