Swafield, Norfolk Genealogy
|Poor Law Union||Tunstead and Happing|
|Parish registers: 1660|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1705|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
SWAFIELD (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the Tunstead and Happing incorporation, hundred of Tunstead, E. division of Norfolk, 1½ mile (N. by E.) from North Walsham. 
Swafield St Nicholas is an Ancient parish in the Waxham deanery of the Diocese of Norwich.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Tunstead 1837-1869
- Smallburgh 1870-1938
- North Walsham 1939-1974
Swafield, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Swafield, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 48/1-3
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438866.
http://www.btinternet.com/~e.c.apling/1891Census/Swafield.htm transcript of 1891 census
Genealogy From Periodicals
Curties. E.A. The Curties Family of Norfolk. History and family tree of Robert Curtes and Prudence Gascoyne, with the following surnames, Barker, Boldney, Leman, Creasey, Doughty, Parker, Paul, Titsell, Smith, Topps, Hutton, Lake, Howard, Summere, Sturt, Bailey, Loynes, Mattewson, Rook. There is a descripiton of each of the family and their life, in many Norfolk Parishes. Brampton, Irstead, Oynead, Aylsham, Sidestand, Oxnead, Scottow, Trimingham, North Walsham, and Swafield. Article dates are 1556-1945, and is found in The Norfok Ancestor, old series, vol. 2,pt2 page 17-22, Family History Library Ref. 942.61 B2j old series, v2. pt. 2
Poor Law Unions
For Tunstead and Happing see http://www.institutions.org.uk/workhouses/england/norf/smallburgh_workhouse.htm
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Norfolk: Swafield on GenUKI
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 280-283. Date accessed: 11 June 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.