Click here to go back to the main project page.
Project Revisions and Reminders
Common Indexing Mistakes:
- Assuming gender from the given name.
- Assuming surnames from another person on the record. If a child is only recorded with a given name, do not assume a surname from the parents.
- Indexing the Town/City, County or State when not recorded on the record. Do not assume when not entered on the card.
- Incorrectly indexing "Intention Filed" date instead of the "Marriage" date.
- Incorrectly indexing the backs of Death Records. Field helps state:
- Only the image of the front has information to be indexed.
- Mark the image of the back as: "No Extractable Data Image."
- Incorrectly marking the back of Marriage Records as "No Extractable Data." Field helps state:
- Most of the Information about the marriage is on the front of the form.
- Information about the groom's and bride's parents are on the back of the form.
- Index each image as though it were a separate record.
- Do not try to combine the information into the fields of one image.
Each indexed record will have only part of the information for the marriage, and the remainder of the fields will be blank.
Additional Information (updated as needed)
Multiple Spouses in Death records: When multiple spouses are present for a single principle, the rule is to only index the present or current spouse. Indexing only the current spouse is necessary to give good search results on FamilySearch.
Birth Records: Stillborns are recorded as Live Births
Your Findings and suggestions for this project:
We welcome your input and questions about your experiences from indexing and arbitrating this project.
Note: You will need an LDS or FamilySearch account to add to these pages, which is the same as the user name and password used for indexing.