Tennessee State Marriage Index (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Tennessee State Marriage Index, 1780-2002 .
What is in the Collection?
The collection consists of an index to marriages from the Tennessee State Library and Archives. The index is provided by Ancestry.com. This collection indexes records from 1780 to 2002.
To see a coverage map of FamilySearch's holdings of Tennessee marriages, click here.
The index may include the following information:
- Name of bride and groom
- Marriage date and place
- Name of spouse (May only list surname)
- Reference ID - Page/Volume/Entry/Certificate Number
How Do I Search the Collection?
When searching the index it is helpful to know the following:
- Names of the bride and groom
- Marriage place
- Marriage date
Search the Collection
To search the collection by name:
Fill in the requested information on the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the individuals in the list to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to find your ancestor. Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names, or variations of their name, throughout their life.
- If your ancestor used an alias or a nickname, be sure to check for those alternate names.
- Even though these indexes are very accurate they may still contain inaccuracies, such as altered spellings, misinterpretations, and optical character recognition errors if the information was scanned.
For tips about searching on-line collections see the on-line article FamilySearch Search Tips and Tricks.
What Do I Do Next?
Use the locator information found in the index (such as page, entry, or certificate number) to locate your ancestor in the marriage records from Tennessee. Compare the information in the record to what you already know about your ancestor to determine if this is the correct marriage. You may need to compare the information of more than one marriage to make this determination.
|Don't overlook FHL Keyword Tennessee, Marriage Records items in the FamilySearch Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see the wiki article Tennessee Archives and Libraries. For additional information about this state see the wiki article Tennessee Genealogy.|
- Tennessee State Library and Archives
- Tennessee Marriages to 1825 at Ancestry ($).
- Tennessee State Marriages, 1780-2002 at Ancestry ($).
- Tennessee Marriages, 1851-1900 at Ancestry ($).
- Tennessee Marriage and Bible Records at Ancestry ($).
Related Wiki Articles
- Tennessee Genealogy
- Tennessee County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Tennessee Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Tennessee Vital Records
How You Can Contribute
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citing this Collection
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
- "Tennessee, State Marriage Index, 1780-2002." Database. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2016. Citing "Tennessee State Marriages, 1780-2002." Ancestry.com. www.ancestry.com : 2008.
Record Citation (or citation for the index entry):
|The citation for a record is available with each record in this collection, at the bottom of the record screen. You can search records in this collection by visiting the search page for Tennessee State Marriage Index, 1780-2002.|