Texas, Matagorda County, School Census Records (FamilySearch Historical Collection)
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Texas, Matagorda County, School Census Records, 1923-1946 .
What is in the Collection?
The collection consists of school census records for Matagorda County, Texas for the years 1923 to 1946. The records are arranged by race, "colored" and "white", and then alphabetically by surname. Additional images will be published to this collection as they become available.
The listing of school-aged children is a common practice throughout the United States. The records are usually compiled on a yearly basis. School records helped local governments determine funding needs for individual schools. The information is usually reliable although the ages are sometimes off by a year and legal guardians may be confused with parents.
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Texas, Matagorda County, School Census Records, 1923-1946.|
School Census Records may include the following information:
- Census stipulated for whites only, ages 7-17
- Name of county, town and school district
- Surname and Christian name of child
- Child's date of birth, age and gender
- Names of parents or guardians
- Parents' residence or post office address
How Do I Search the Collection?
To begin your search it is helpful to know the following:
- Name of the child
- Age or approximate birth date
- Parents' names
Searching the Collection
To browse by image:
To search the collection you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒Select the "Year, Race, Surname Range" category which takes you to the images.
Look at each image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination. Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life.
What Do I Do Next?
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information about them. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details that can lead you to other records about your ancestor. For example:
- Use the age to calculate an approximate birth date.
- Use the age or birth date along with the parents’ names and residence to find the family in census records.
- Use the residence and names of the parents to locate church and land records.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- It is often helpful to extract the information on all children with the same parents.
- If the surname is unusual, you may want to compile the entries for every person of the same surname and sort them into families based on the names of the parents.
- Continue to search the birth records to identify other relatives such as cousins who attended the same school or other nearby schools.
- Earlier records may not contain as much information as the records created after 1885.
- There is also some variation in the information given from record to record.
What If I Can't Find Who I'm Looking For?
- Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also look for alias names, nicknames and abbreviated names.
- Look for an index. There are often indexes at the beginning of each volume. Local genealogical and historical societies often have indexes to local records.
- Search the indexes and records of nearby localities.
|Don't overlook FHL Keyword Texas, Matagorda items in the FamilySearch Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see the wiki article Texas Archives and Libraries. For additional information about this county see the wiki article Matagorda County, Texas Genealogy.|
- Matagorda County, Texas Free Public Records Directory
- Matagorda County, Texas Court Records Directory
- Matagorda County, Texas Family History and Genealogy
- Matagorda County Records
Related Wiki Articles
How You Can Contribute
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citing this Collection
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
- "Texas, Matagorda County, School Census Records, 1923-1946" Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2016. Citing State Board of Education. Matagorda County Judge, Bay City.
|The image citation is available by clicking on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Texas, Matagorda County, School Census Records, 1923-1946.|