The Netherlands Genealogy
Europe The Netherlands
|The Netherlands Background|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to Netherlands ancestry, family history, and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, and military records.
Getting Started with Netherlands Research
Links to articles on getting started with Netherlands research.
Netherlands Research Tools
Links to articles and websites that assist in Netherlands research.
The Netherlands Clickable Map
To visit the page of a province, click either on the province on the map or the name listed in the Provinces section below.
The Netherlands consists of twelve provinces, the last one - Flevoland - was created from part of the former Zuider Zee/IJsselmeer on 1 January 1986.
The second tier of jurisdiction and the one most relevant for genealogy, especially after 1811, is the gemeente (municipality). There are currently 393 of them, down from about 1200 in 1811. Links to pages listing municipalities and the towns within them can be found on the page for the relevant province.
Below are FamilySearch resources that can assist you in resourcing your family.
- Facebook Communities - Facebook groups discussing genealogy research
- Dutch Genealogy - Facebook group specifically discusing Dutch Genealogy (Ein nglish)
- Learning Center - Online genealogy courses
- Historical Records
- Family History Center locator map
- Wikipedia contributors, "Netherlands," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlands, accessed 24 March 2016.