Thurgarton, Norfolk Genealogy
|Poor Law Union||Erpingham|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1691|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
THURGARTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Eupingham, hundred of North Erpingham, E. division of Norfolk, 8 miles (N.) from Aylsham. 
Thurgarton All Saints is an Ancient Parish in the Repps deanery of the Diocese of Norwich.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Erpingham 1837-1938
- North Walsham 1939-1974
- The Register Office, 18 Kings Arms Street, North Walsham, NR28 9JX.
Tel/Fax: 01692 406220. E-mail: email@example.com
Thurgarton, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Thurgarton, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 221
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438853.
http://www.btinternet.com/~e.c.apling/1891Census/Thurgarton.htm for transcription of 1891 census of Thurgarton
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Norfolk: Thurgarton on GenUKI
- Churches Conservation Trust website
- Poem "At Thurgarton Church" on Literary Norfolk
- British History online
- Thurgarton stained glass
- Thurgarton on Norfolk Churches
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 349-351. Date accessed: 16 July 2013.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.