Tilston, Cheshire Genealogy
Guide to Tilston, Cheshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
St Mary's Church, Tilston Cheshire
|Poor Law Union||Great Boughton|
|Registration District||Great Boughton|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1585|
|Diocese||Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry; Post-1540 - Chester|
|Probate Court||Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory) Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Cheshire (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Cheshire Record Office|
TILSTON (St. Mary), is a parish, in the union of Great Boughton, Higher division of the hundred of Broxton, South division of the county of Chester; containing, with the townships of Carden, Grafton, Hortonby-Malpas, and Stretton, it is 3 miles (N. W. by N.) from Malpas.
Tilston St Mary is an ancient parish in the ancient Broxton Hundred which includes the hamlets of Hob Hill and Lowcross Hill and lies three miles northwest of Malpas and twelve miles from Chester.
The ancient church of St. Mary's in the township, despite having been extensively restored in the late 19th century, largely dates from 1659 but there was a church on the site at least as early as the time of King Henry III in the mid 13th century.
Tilston was the site of a Roman town, known as Bovium, which was on the Roman road between Chester and Wroxeter.
In 1066 after the Battle of Hastings the area of present-day Tilston was taken from the Anglo-Saxons. Hugh Lupus, the nephew of King William I was given these lands. Hugh then gave parts of this land to his supporters. The village of Tilston was given to a knight named Eynion who was the called Eynion de Tilston. In the 12th century, Wales was not part of the Kingdom of England and the Welsh people constantly raided England.
Tilston is a village and a civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241232.
Tilston St Mary parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials have been indexed by the following groups:
|CPR = Cheshire Parish Register Project - free|
|FS PR's =FamilySearch Parish Registers|
|FS BT's = FamilySearch Bishops Transcript|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|Tilston St Mary Parish (1558) Online Records|
|FS PR's|| 1558-1909
|FS BT'S|| 1621-1839
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Tilston, St. Mary (C of E). An ancient parish church, serving the townships of Carden, Grafton, Horton, Stretton (near Malpas) and Tilston. Registers of Baptisms 1558–1937, Marriages 1559–1998 and Burials 1558–1924 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office. Parish registers for Tilston, 1558-1978 Microfilm copy of original record in the Cheshire Record Office, Chester, England. The parish church is known as St. Mary's.Cheshire Record Office no.: P18/1/1-2, 2/1-3, 3/1-2, 4/1, 5/1-2; P18/6328.
|Parish Register Content||FHL Film|
|Baptisms, 1558-1937. Marriages, 1558-1837. Marriage banns, 1754-1813, 1823-1897. Burials, 1558-1924.||BRITISH 2105377 Items 4 - 13|
|Marriages, 1917-1978.||VAULT BRITISH 2356822 Item 7|
Bishop's transcripts for Tilston, 1585-1839 Microfilm of manuscripts in the Cheshire Record Office, Chester, England.
Records are not in strict chronological order. Some years are missing.
|Bishop's transcripts Content||FHL Film|
|Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1585-1586, 1605, 1610, 1613, 1618, 1621-1625, 1628-1631, 1635, 1665-1697, 1700-1800.||BRITISH 1751855 Item 2|
|Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1801-1839.||BRITISH 1751856 Item 1|
Transcripts of this parish are available online at Cheshire Parish Register project
- Tilston, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan)
- Tilston, Methodist Chapel (Primitive)
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from 1 July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. Here are two excellent Internet sites with birth, marriage and death indexes available:
- Great Boughton (1837–69)
- Chester (1870–1937)
- West Cheshire (1937–74)
- Chester and Ellesmere Port (1974–98)
- Cheshire West (post 1998) Registration events may be searched online at Cheshire BMD
Poor Law Unions
- Great Boughton (1837–71)
- Tarvin (1871–1930) Tarvin (previously Great Boughton) Poor Law Union, Cheshire
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
- A transcribed copy of probate records for Malpas 1603-1625 can be located in book form The Ancient Parishes of Malpas Tilston and Shocklach
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Tilston on GENUKI