Towner County, North Dakota Genealogy
Towner County, North Dakota genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Towner County, North Dakota|
Location in the state of North Dakota
Location of North Dakota in the U.S.
|Founded||March 8, 1883|
|Address|| Towner County Courthouse|
315 2nd Street
PO Box 517
Cando, ND 58324-0517
Towner County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Web Sites
- 8 References
Towner County, North Dakota Record Dates
District Court Clerk has marriage records from 1888, divorce records from 1890, probate records from 1886, court records from 1889, land records from 1884, and burial records.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Arndt Bisbee Cando
Online Territory and State Census Indexes and Records
- 1885 – Dakota Territory 1885 Census Index at NDSU Archives – index only
- 1885, 1915, 1925 – North Dakota, Territorial and State Censuses, 1885, 1915, 1925 at Ancestry.com – ($), index and images
- 1915 – North Dakota Census, 1915 at FamilySearch Historical Records — index and images
- 1925 – North Dakota Census, 1925 at FamilySearch Historical Records — index and images
When the United States acquired North Dakota, most of the land became available for homesteading or purchase from the federal government. For more information on this, see North Dakota Land and Property.
After land was transferred from the government to private owners, the registrar of deeds in each county recorded the land transactions in the form of deeds and mortgages.
Local histories are available for Towner County, North Dakota Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section North Dakota Local Histories.
Naturalization and Citizenship
Online Naturalization Indexes and Records
- North Dakota Naturalization Records Index at NDSU Archives – index only, covers various dates and counties
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Towner County, North Dakota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Online Probate Records
- 1800 – 1985 North Dakota and South Dakota Wills and Probate Records 1800-1985 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
Probate records of North Dakota are at the county clerk's office.
- For selected estate case rulings, see North Dakota Supreme Court.
- See also North Dakota Probate Records.
Tax records are at the county treasurer's, auditor's or clerk's office, or the state archives.
Vital Records (birth, marriage, death, and divorce records) may be recorded on registers, certificates, or other documents at the county clerk's office.
- See also North Dakota Vital Records for more information.
Online Death Indexes and Records
Societies and Libraries
Towner County Historical Society Museum
108 4th Avenue
Munich, ND 58352
Telephone Number: 701-682-5106
Cando Pioneer Foundation Museum
7342 72nd Ave NE
Cando, ND 58324-0142
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Towner County, North Dakota Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Towner County, North Dakota. Page 526 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).