Trelech a'r Betws, Carmarthenshire Genealogy
A guide to genealogy in Trelech a'r Betws, with information on where to find birth, baptism, marriage, death and burial records; census records; wills; cemeteries; maps; etc.
TRELÊCH-AR-BETTWS (TRÉF-LLÊCH A'R BETTWS), a parish, in the higher division of the hundred of ELVET, union and county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 8 miles (N.W. by W.) from Carmarthen. This parish comprises a large tract of arable and pasture, inclosed, and a very extensive district of uncultivated land, consisting chiefly of heath and turbaries, from which latter the inhabitants principally obtain their fuel, and which also afford a supply to the neighbouring parishes. The surface is uneven and in some parts hilly. The petty-sessions for the hundred are held here every month. The church, dedicated to St. Teilo, and situated within two miles of the turnpike-road from Carmarthen to Cardigan, was rebuilt in 1834, and is a neat and commodious structure: Capel Bettws is a chapel of ease for it. There are two places of worship for Independents, one for Methodists, and one for Baptists. In the parish is a remarkable barrow, called Crûg-y-Deyrn, or the "King's Barrow,", about sixty paces in circumference at the base.
For more information on Trelech a'r Betws see Trelech a'r Betws at Genuki.
|before 31 March 1974||Carmarthenshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Dyfed|
|from 1 April 1996||Carmarthenshire|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464310.
Poor Law Union Records
Maps and Gazetteers
- Trelech a'r Betws at Vision of Britain.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales Adapted. Date accessed: 16 January 2014.