Tretŵr, Breconshire Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki
(Redirected from Tretŵr, Breconshire)
Jump to: navigation, search

Wales Gotoarrow.png Breconshire Gotoarrow.png Breconshire Parishes Gotoarrow.pngTretŵr

History

TRÊTOWER (TRÊF-Y-TWR), a chapelry, in the parish of Llanvihangel-Cwm-Dû, union and hundred of Crickhowel, county of Brecknock, South Wales, 3 miles (N. by W.) from Crickhowel. This place derives its name, signifying "the town of the tower," from its castle, supposed by some to have been originally the residence of one of the native lords of Brycheiniog. The village is pleasantly situated on the left bank of the river Rhiangoll, which, after flowing along the beautiful Vale of Cwm Dû, falls into the Usk within a short distance of it. The chapel is dedicated to St. John the Evangelist.[1]

Also spelled Tretower. TRETOWER, a parcel in the parish of Llanfihangel-Cwmdu, hundred of Crickhowell, county Brecon, 3 miles from Crickhowell, its post town, and 9 from Talgarth. It is situated on the Rhiangoll, a branch of the river Usk. For more information see Tretower, Breconshire at Genuki.org.uk


Records

Civil Registration

Church Records

Census Records

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is {{{1}}}.


Probate Records

Maps and Gazetteers

Web Sites

References

  1. Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 405-414. Adapted. Date accessed: 30 January 2014.