Twin Falls Idaho Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
- 1 Twin Falls Family History Center
- 2 Center Contacts and Hours
- 3 Events Calendar and Announcements
- 4 Consultant Training and Roundtable
- 5 Center Services
Twin Falls Family History Center
The Twin Falls Family History Center covers the Twin Falls and the western Magic Valley. Visitors Welcome.
- We have Spanish-speaking consultants on Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday, from 9:00 to 1:00. Tenemos consultores de habla española el martes, miércoles, sábado, 9:00-1:00.
Center Contacts and Hours
- 399 Maurice Street North Twin Falls Idaho 83301 United States
- One block south of the Twin Falls High School.
- Handicapped parking and access.
|Tuesday||9:00 am||9:00 pm|
|Wednesday||9:00 am||9:00 pm|
|thusday||9:00 am||9:00 pm|
|Saturday||10:00 am||3:00 pm|
Closed all major holidays
Events Calendar and Announcements
|Wed 5-Oct||10 AM||Family Tree Next Steps: Correcting Relationships||Webinar – SLC FHL|
|…||11:00 AM||Family Tree Next Steps: Merging Principles||Webinar – SLC FHL|
|…||01:00 PM||Family Tree Next Steps: Preserving Memories Using Stories||Webinar – SLC FHL|
|…||02:00 PM||Family Tree Next Steps: Preserving Memories Using Audio and Apps||Webinar – SLC FHL|
|…||03:30 PM||Discovering Digital Family and Locality Histories||Webinar – BYU FHL|
|Thur 6-Oct||10:00 AM||Using the FamilySearch Catalog Effectively||Webinar – SLC FHL|
|…||11:00 AM||Tips and Tricks Using FamilySearch Historical Records Collections||Webinar – SLC FHL|
|…||01:00 PM||Overview of FamilySearch.org (except catalog and records)||Webinar – SLC FHL|
|…||02:00 PM||FamilySearch Wiki: Valuable Research Tool||Webinar – SLC FHL|
|…||03:00 PM||What's New on FamilySearch.org||Webinar – SLC FHL|
|Tue 11-Oct||11:00 AM||Meyers Gazetteer: A Critical Resource for German Research||Webinar – SLC FHL|
|…||07:00 PM||Consultant Training: Finding Sources for Birth, Marriage & Death||John Cox|
|Wed 12-Oct||11:00 AM||Beginning Research Techniques||Webinar – SLC FHL|
|Thur 13-Oct||01:00 PM||Poland Historical Geography||Webinar – SLC FHL|
|…||02:30 PM||A Guide for Entering Information in the FamilySearch Family Tree||Webinar - BYU FHL|
|Sat 15-Oct||01:00 PM||Conozca el sitio de PARES||Webinar – SLC FHL|
|Tue 18-Oct||10:15:00 AM||Figure Out Place Names for Swedish Genealogy||Webinar – SLC FHL|
|…||11:30 AM||Using Name Searchable Registers in ArkivDigital||Webinar – SLC FHL|
|…||02:00 PM||Parish Record Substitution in Sweden||Webinar – SLC FHL|
|…||02:30 PM||Using First Level Genealogical Sources: Vital Records, Censuses, Cemetery Records, Obituaries and Biographies||Webinar - BYU FHL|
|…||03:15:00 PM||Introduction to Swedish Estate Inventories||Webinar – SLC FHL|
|…||07:00 PM||Consultant Training: Correcting and Editing Vital Information in FS Family Tree||John Cox|
|Wed 19-Oct||09:00 AM||Moving and Migration for Swedish Genealogy||Webinar – SLC FHL|
|…||10:15:00 AM||Jurisdictions for Swedish Genealogy||Webinar – SLC FHL|
|…||11:30 AM||Learn by Doing: Mistaken Identity of Johanna Andersdotter||Webinar – SLC FHL|
|…||02:00 PM||Danish Record Research: A Case Study||Webinar – SLC FHL|
|…||02:00 PM||Online Resources for Finnish Research||Webinar – SLC FHL|
|…||03:15:00 PM||Beginning Finnish Research: A Case Study||Webinar – SLC FHL|
|…||03:15:00 PM||An Introduction to Danish Census Records||Webinar – SLC FHL|
|…||03:30 PM||Understanding the Data in FamilySearch Family Tree||Webinar - BYU FHL|
|Thur 20-Oct||09:00 AM||Using Witnesses to Find Your Danish Ancestors||Webinar – SLC FHL|
|…||01:00 PM||"Harvesting" Your Family History from US Census Records||Miriam Austin|
|…||02:00 PM||Research in Copenhagen||Webinar – SLC FHL|
|…||03:15:00 PM||Introduction to Danish Land Records||Webinar – SLC FHL|
|Tue 25-Oct||11:00 AM||Finding Your French Ancestors Online||Webinar – SLC FHL|
|…||01:00 PM||What Tips Are Hiding in Old Church Records?||David Putnam|
|…||07:00 PM||Consultant Roundtable (FHC Staff and TFH Consultants from ALL wards)||…|
|Wed 26-Oct||10:00 AM||Research Logs: A Tool for Organizing Your Research||Webinar – SLC FHL|
|…||01:00 PM||Scotland's "Lost" Other Half: Tracing Difficult Ancestral Lines in Scotland's Non-Parochial (Church) Registers||Webinar – SLC FHL|
|…||03:30 PM||Answers Hiding in Plain Sight: Using What You Know to Discover What You Don't Know||Webinar – SLC FHL|
|…||05:00 PM||The How and Why of Descendancy Research||John Call|
|Thur 27-Oct||1:00 PM||Using Church of Scotland Parochial Registers to Trace Scots Ancestry||Webinar – SLC FHL|
SLC FHL – always updates to current month:
(printable .PDF) 
BYU FHL Webinars for October:
(printable .PDF) 
Consultant Training Schedule
Below is the 8-week Consultant Training Schedule. This will be repeated again starting Sepember 2016 and can be joined at any time.
- What's My Calling as a Temple and Family History Consultant?
- Introduction to FamilySearch
- Finding Sources for Birth, Marriage, & Death
- Correcting and editing Vital Information in FamilySearch Family Tree
- Merging Duplicates in FamilySearch Family Tree
- Exploring Our Temple Opportunities and Church Policy
- Adding Memories to Family Tree
Also, please watch this webinar, it is wonderful.
Consultant Training and Roundtable
Consultant training and Roundtable are for all Ward and Stake Family History Consultants, as well as those who work at the Family History Center.
Center Resource Collections
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog.
- The Twin Falls Family History Center has a book collection of over 2,000 books. The center also has a collection of about 1,000 microfilms on indefinite loan, and have notebooks with listings of them. They also have a large microfiche collection.
- The center has cemetery and many obituary records for Twin Falls and some surrounding communities. Volunteers can do obituary look-ups.
- The center had a large number of city directories and phone books for Twin Falls and other regional towns. These were digitized in 2014 and can now be viewed at familysearch.org. See the Family History Library Catalog and look under the city or town - Directories. The center no longer has the actual city directory books.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal: This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- A number of the most popular personal pedigree programs have been installed on our computers.
- The complete Pedigree Resource File is available in FamilySearch.org, under the Search tab, then Genealogies. This includes the notes.
Hardware and Equipment
- 20+ computer stations.
- Digital microfilm/fiche reader, plus conventional readers.
- Separate classroom/training and research areas.
- Completely handicapped accessible.
Staff Research Specialties
- BSA - Genealogy merit badge - Bonnie Harman - thusday evening
- English (England) Research Specialist - Jeanette Gailey - Wednesdays from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm
- New England - David Putnam Jr. - Tuesday and Wednesday, 9 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Scandinavian Research Specialist - Brian Halling- thusday Evenings
- Scandinavian Research Specialist - Ross Gedeborg - contact him at home 208-969-0034 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Resources in the Local Area
201 4th Ave. East
Twin Falls, ID 83301
They have the ancestry.com library program, it's free to use at the library.
They have a local history room on the main floor, with a good collection of books relating to the Twin Falls area.
The Twin Falls newspaper, now called the Times News, has good search features. The Twin Falls newspapers have all been digitized from the beginning.
Volunteer at the Center
There are many opportunities to serve at the Twin Falls Family History Center. The only requirement is a desire to serve, no experience with family history is necessary. Volunteering is a great way to learn. If you are interested in helping out please contact the director of the Twin Falls Family History Center, David Putnam, at 208.733.8073. We look forward to serving with you.