Tywardreath, Cornwall Genealogy
Guide to Tywardreath, Cornwall ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Tywardreath Church St Andrew
|Poor Law Union||St Austell|
|Registration District||St Austell|
|Parish registers: 1642|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1608|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall|
|Location of Archive|
|Cornwall Record Office|
TYWARDRETH (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of St. Austell, E. division of the hundred of Powder and of the county of Cornwall, 3¾ miles (W. N. W.) from Fowey.
The parish of Tywardreath <Ti War Dreth> which means "House or Manor on the Strand, or Beach" in Cornish, was identified in the Domesday Book (as Tiwardrai), but Bronze Age finds have been discovered in the parish.
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD.
Tywardreath, Cornwall Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Tywardreath, Cornwall Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Images of parish registers are available online at FamilySearch Images refer to Cornwall Record Office reference: P 242
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource is the Cornwall Online Parish Clerks page for the parish.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cornwall Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable websites are:
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain
Tywardreath in GENUKI
St. Austell Genealogy and History
includes Free transcriptions of manorial records, wills, all BMDs for C. of E. and non-conformist
churches 1565 to 1900 in spreadsheet form, which helps researchers see alternatively spelled surnames more easily. There are also photographic "trips" through the parish, War Memorial transcriptions, indexes of directories from 1798 to 1873, Voters Lists 1850-1864, Protestation Returns, Poll tax and Hearth tax returns, etc. Data is added regularly.
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks database (http://cornwall-opc-database.org
Includes for Free all BMD data found on the site above, with some differences,
Poll and Hearth tax returns, and Voter Lists. Covers all of Cornwall, not one
An index of all names from Registrar's data, starting in 1837 to this date,
showing the location of the information so that researchers may order copies
Transcriptions of the 1841 through 1891 censuses, checked by 3 persons;
searchable database. All transcriptions include original misspelling, age
differences, etc. (they were transcribed as written, when the writing
could be deciphered.) Please try alternative spellings.
West Briton & Cornwall Advertiser Newspaper
Searchable transcriptions of the newspaper, 1836 to 1887, which includes all
Court cases, news of the day,BMDs published in the paper, various advertisements, etc.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 407-411. Date accessed: 23 March 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 2 December 2013.
- 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 22 November 2013.
- 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- 'Cornwall Burials', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- 'Cornwall Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 18 November 2013.
- 'England, Cornwall and Devon Parish Registers, 1538-2010', FamilySearch, accessed 26 November 2013.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Cornwall, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 21 November 2013.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- St. Austell Area Parishes - Genealogy', RootsWeb, accessed 26 November 2013.
- 'Parish Records,' TheGenealogist, accessed 22 May 2014.