Undersvik parish, Sweden Genealogy
Guide to Undersvik parish, Sweden ancestry, family history, and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Back to Sweden►
- 1 History
- 2 Place Names
- 3 Collections
- 3.1 Census Records
- 3.2 Church Records
- 3.3 Military Records
- 3.4 Related Sources
- 3.5 Help Reading Swedish Records
- 3.6 Help Reading Old Handwriting
- 3.7 Help With Research Objectives and Strategies
- 3.8 References
History(write information such as: how old the parish is, interesting facts about the parish, what alternate names it has, or any boundary changes.)
|Pastorat||-1868 Arbrå, 1868-03-17-1961 Undersvik, 1962- Arbrå|
|Län||-1762 Västernorrland, 1762- Gävleborg|
|Tingslag||-1879 Arbrå, 1880-1927 Arbrå och Järvsö, 1928-1970 Västra Hälsinglands domsagas|
|Domsaga||-1770 Hälsingland, 1771-1830 Hälsinglands södra, 1831-1970 Västra Hälsingland, 1971- Bollnäs tingsrätts|
|Fögderi||-1863 Södra Hälsingland, 1864-1917 Västra Hälsingland|
|Kommun||1863-1951 Undersvik, 1952-1973 Arbrå, 1974- Bollnäs|
|Militär indelning|| Helsinge Regementet |
|NAD Ref Code||SE/HLA/1010222|
Kyrkbyn Norra, Kyrkbyn Södra,
Medsand (Iste i Arbrå parish),
Offerberg Västra, Offerberg Östra,
To see what kind of place it is you will need a Swedish Gazetteer.
- Surrounding Parishes
- Sweden Household Examination Records (Husförhörslängder)--explanation of this church record which is functionally the census of Sweden.
- Sweden Household Examination Books, 1880 - 1920, ($), index and images. Also on Ancestry.com, ($), Arkiv Digital ($), and SVAR ($).
Online Database Church Records
The easiest way to access the Swedish Church Records is through the internet, using these five sites (see links to specific collections below). Four of these sites require a subscription for access. (ArkivDigital, Ancestry.com, and MyHeritage.com are available at a FamilyHistory Center near you free of charge.)
- Sweden, Gävleborg Church Records, 1616-1908; index 1671-1860, FamilySearch Historical Records.
- MyHeritage.com ($),
- Ancestry.com ($),
- Arkiv Digital ($), and
- SVAR ($).
Help Using ArkivDigital: Online Databases for Sweden
- These lessons will teach you how to use ArkivDigital:
Family History Library Records
Click Sweden, Gävleborg Records for a full listing of microfilmed records (some digitized online) at the Family History Library, that may be viewed on loan at a Family History Center near you. Click on "Places within Sweden, Gävleborg" and then select your parish.
Help Reading Swedish Records
- You do not have to be fluent in Swedish to read these records! The have a limited vocabulary: mother, father, born, bride, groom, married, etc. The rest of the content will be names, dates, and places, which do not need translation.
- This Swedish Word List covers typical terms found in the records.
- Swedish Historical Dictionary Database, SHDD: This interactive dictionary allows you to enter a word in the search box and receive the translation.
- Feast Day Calendar (Moveable) and Feast Day Lists (Fixed and Moveable) will help you translate dates written in feast day form.
- Denmark surnames are patronymic and change every generation, so carefully study Sweden Names, Personal.
- For help with reading the column headings found in more recent records, see Swedish Parish Register and Household Exam Roll Headings.
- Instructions, document examples, and translations are given for Reading Swedish Birth and Christening Records 1717, 1752, 1771, 1792, 1803, 1834, 1854.
Help Reading Old Handwriting
- Reading Scandinavian Gothic Handwritten Records: (free, online lessons at FamilySearch):
Help With Research Objectives and Strategies
Undersvik parish, Husförhörslängd AI:6, 1833-1845, Ort register.
Jurisdictional Information from: Riksarkivet. "Undersvik Församling." Nationell ArkivDatabas (NAD). March 2015 http://www.nad.riksarkivet.se/