Upwell, Norfolk Genealogy
|Poor Law Union||Wisbech|
|Registration District||Downham; Wisbeach|
|Parish registers: 1650|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1691|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
UPWELL (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Wisbech, partly in the hundred of Wisbech, Isle of Ely, county of Cambridge, and partly in the hundred of Clackclose, W. division of the county of Norfolk, 65 miles (S. E. by S.) from Wisbech.  Also known as or includes Three Holes.
Upwell is an Ancient Parish partly in Cambridgeshire and partly in Norfolk. Welney is a chapelry of Upwell. The physical church buildings are located in Norfolk. See also Upwell, Camrbridgeshire.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Upwell, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Upwell, Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Non Conformist Churches
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241227.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Norfolk: Upwell on GenUKI
- Francis White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk, 1854, pp. 641-3 (transcript)]
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp422-424. Date accessed: 30 July 2013.
- Pat Newby, "Norfolk: Towns and Parishes", GenUKI
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 22 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 22 March 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.