How do I start my family history?
Create your own tree
- Create a tree online - Choose the option "Fill in Online Version," and it will guide you through the steps of entering your Family Tree online.
Tips on filling out your own tree:
- Go through any documents and pictures you may already have.
- Ask other family members for information about your ancestors, such has an older relatives.
- About linking to information already entered.
- Information in family trees are not always correct and need to be verified and sourced.
See what’s available online about your family
Below is a list of major genealogy websites containing trees that may contain your ancestors. Before searching these websites, review these tips to help improve your success in locating ancestors:
- It is important to double check information you find on a family tree online. It can contain incorrect information.
- Some of these websites require you to start a family tree in the website to search for your ancestors. The benefit is linking these individuals to your tree.
- Many family trees now have record hinting features that will lead you to records that maybe for your ancestor.