User:HardestyPN/Sandbox Finding Births
FINDING U.S. BIRTH RECORDS
Why would I want to search for a birth record?
- May give the exact date and place where the child was born
- May indicate where the parents were born
- Help you extend a generation to the parents of the child.
What information does a birth record include?
- Name of child
- Birth date and place of child
- Father’s name
- Mother’s name including maiden
- Birthplaces of parents
What you need to know about birth records in the U.S.:
- Each state has a different year when births began to be recorded depending on when their state law was passed.
- Information gathered by state and county officials differs from each state.
- Most states began recording births between 1900 and 1930.
- New England states started recording births on the town level starting as early as the first residents of the town.
- Some states in the Midwest began recording births on the county level as early as 1860s.
How to find your ancestor’s birth record:
Process for finding birth records:
- Check online indexes and digital images
- Check repositories, such as archives and libraries (FHL)
- Obtain certificate from the government agency ($$)
Step 1: Where Did the Birth Occur?
Choose one of the following: