Acorn Family History Services
Acorn Family History Services is a genealogical research business run by professional genealogist Julia Henderson, offering a service to those interested in family history at all levels, from the complete beginner to the experienced researcher. Through the business Julia can assist in your genealogical research in a number of ways:
● Research packages at various levels, depending on your requirements, at a fixed price. These packages will take one or more lines of your family history back to the early 1800’s, and make ideal gifts for weddings, birthdays, retirements, new babies, Christmas or any other occasion. They will include census entries, birth and marriage certificates and other surrounding information on the family and their location.
● Individual research at an hourly rate, which can cover such situations as the following:
- Advice and assistance, for example where you have hit a brick wall in your own family history research.
- Research into earlier generations of your family pre-1837.
- Finding information in local archives.
● Photographic work, such as the photographing of gravestones, churches, houses or other locations in the south-east.
A high level of customer satisfaction is an important element in any commission and Julia will always establish the customer’s requirements through consultation, with free initial assessment. A detailed report of the results of the research will be produced and all sources quoted, with any relevant suggestions for further research.
Post 1837 research can be undertaken nationwide in England, as can work for earlier periods in many cases. For other work requiring access to local archives or for photographic work Julia will cover archives in Kent and Sussex, together with the London area (including The National Archives at Kew).
Background and Qualifications
Family history is a fascinating pastime and one which Julia pursued as a personal hobby for many years. The feeling of connection with your ancestors, the thrill of finding their names and signatures on a document, standing by their gravestones or in the churches where they worshipped, visiting the houses where they lived and finding out about their lives and families; these are some of the benefits of learning more about your past. Julia’s personal hobby has become a full time profession and she is always eager to help others find out about their ancestors.
Julia has a recognised genealogical qualification being the Institute of Heraldic and Genealogical Studies (IHGS) Higher Certificate in Genealogy (with distinction) 'which was gained after an intensive course of study.
Further, Julia is a qualified solicitor, with a law degree from the University of Sheffield. As such she can understand and interpret the many complex legal documents which are found in the course of genealogical research.
Julia is an associate member of AGRA (the Association of Genealogists and Researchers in Archives) and as such you can be confident of the quality of her work, as she has committed to abiding by their code of conduct.
Julia has expertise in many areas of genealogical work, including the following:
- Civil registration of births, marriages and deaths from 1837
- Census records 1841-1911
- Parish registers
- Miscellaneous parish records (known as the parish chest)
- Wills and probate
- Interpretation of legal documents and title deeds
- Quarter Sessions records
- Records of local and national taxation
- Nonconformist records
- School, university and occupational records
For a free initial consultation and assessment please contact Julia Henderson by:
telephone: 01732 362659