- 1 Garibaldi, Tillamook County, Oregon
- 1.1 City Hall
- 1.2 Quick Fact
- 1.3 Record Loss
- 1.4 Populated Places
- 1.5 Resources
- 1.6 Maps
- 1.7 Websites
- 1.8 References
- 1.9 Newspaper
- 1.10 History
- 1.11 Vital Records
Garibaldi, Tillamook County, Oregon
Garibaldi's first white resident was Charley Farwell in 1856. According to Warren Vaughan's diary, Farwell, a deckhand on the "Calumet", agreed with Captain Fishnor to be placed ashore before the "Calumet" returned to the Pacific. Farwell built a "snug house where Garibaldi is now located perhaps in expectation of becoming a bar pilot."
Daniel Bayley was the first significant property owner on this part of Tillamook Bay, having first settled here after the Civil War. Bayley built a hotel and general store on what is now known as Bay Lane. In 1867, Bayley subdivided the Bayley Park Addition and was officially granted title to the property May 15, 1869 by President Ulysses S. Grant. In 1870, he was appointed by President Grant as the area’s first postmaster, and given the duty of naming the postmark. This same year, Giuseppe Garibaldi helped unify Italy after a military career devoted to establishing democracy around the world and Bayley felt so inclined to name the post office after his hero.
Garibaldi's first school (Hobson School) was built in 1896. In 1907 the school was moved close to where it now stands between Cypress and Driftwood under the big "G". In 1926, the new high school opened so Garibaldi students no longer had to attend secondary school in Bay City. In 1954, north Tillamook County high schools were consolidated as Neah-Kah-Nie High School north of Rockaway Beach. Garibaldi High School became a grade school.
The Whitney mill was opened in 1921. The tall smoke stack, today all that remains, was constructed by the Hammond Company in 1927–28.
Garibaldi was incorporated as a City in 1946. During the 1950s the city's population increased to over 1500 with the construction of two large mills, The Oceanside Lumber Company and Oregon-Washington Plywood Corporation. The Oregon-Washington Mill closed in the late 1970s. Weyerhaeuser still operates a successful hard wood mill at the Port of Garibaldi. (Wikipedia)
Archives and Libraries