Thanks for your input!! This looks good, and it is a format that we may want to copy for other county collections with multiple record types. The How to Use the Record section is always the most difficult to write especially for collections with multiple record types.
The kind of detailed information currently in this section has been requested many times by users; probably because a high percentage of the users are beginners. Studies of users and feedback from the users have shown us that they need to have the following information:
- Why do they want the information in the records. (Example: The name of the officiator at the event may be a clue to their religion or area of residence in the county.)
- What do they do with the information. (Example: The name of the undertaker or mortuary could lead you to funeral and cemetery records which often include the names and residences of other family members.)
- Tips for searching. (Example: When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.)
- What to do if they do not find their ancestors. (Example: Check for variant spellings of the surnames.)
- What to do next. (Example: Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth of each partner to find a couple's birth records and parents' names.)
I really appreciate the work you have done and I cannot emphasize enough how much I appreciate it.
If you would like to contact me directly my contact information is -
NaDine B. Timothy email@example.com. (801) 240-4487
- Hi NaDine! Thanks for your comments. What about using an image to explain much of that "why" and "what to do" kind of information? Using a real image from the collection, highlighting portions and providing brief hints may make the information easier to "digest." I'll see if I can come up with an example in the next day or so. Lise 02:19, 17 September 2011 (UTC)
If the contract with the record holder allows us to put an example on-line, we add one as soon as the images are available. We've also tried adding instructions to the images, but the comments quickly over-whelm the images and it ends up a cluttered mess. I will work on it and see what I can do.
Thanks again for your input!