Vancouver Washington West Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
Welcome to the Vancouver Washington West Family History Center. We are located just off SR 502 in Ridgefield, Washington, west of Battle Ground, in Clark County, Washington and are ready to spend one-on-one time helping you with your family history research, whether you are just starting out or just can't seem to find the next limb on you family tree. The Center's services are free and the Center is open to the general public.
- 1 +++ Announcement +++
- 2 The Vancouver Washington West Family History Center Has Moved!"
- 3 Center Contacts and Hours
- 4 Center Resources
- 5 Center Services
- 6 Resources in the Local Area
- 7 Volunteer at the Center
+++ Announcement +++
The Vancouver Washington West Family History Center Has Moved!"
The Center is now located in the Ridgefield Stake Center, at 21720 Northeast 29th Avenue, Ridgefield, WA.
Center Contacts and Hours
Short URL to this Site:
- 21720 Northeast 29th Avenue, Ridgefield, Washington, 98642 (United States)
- We are located just off SR 502 (on the south side) between Interstate 5 and Dollars Corner.
- Use the west entrance and find the first door on the right.
- Ring the bell if the door is locked during the posted hours.
- Language: English (but Spanish language assistance can be arranged by appointment)
- 1-360-281-3953 (temporary)
- WA_VancouverWest@ldsmail.net (Note: New email is read only sporadically.)
- Monday: 1:00pm-4:00pm
- Tuesday: 10:00am-1:00pm and 7:00pm-9:00pm
- Wednesday: 7:00pm-9:00pm
- Thursday: 7:00pm-9:00pm
- Holiday Schedule:
Closed for all federal holidays and December 22nd through January 2nd
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center can help you order on line any of the microfilm and microfiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog, and will store your films at the Center.
- The Center has a considerable amount of fiche and microfilm on permanent loan.
- The Center has a library of books and other publications (located mainly in the Bliss Road Chapel and available by appointment).
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions, including:
- The 19th Century British Library Newspapers digital archive–Find.galegroup.com
- Alexander Street Press, American Civil War–Alexanderstreet.com
- ArkivDigital Online–Arkivdigital.net
- Find My Past–Findmypast.co.uk
- 1911 British Census (accessed through the Find My Past website)
- Fold3 (formerly Footnote.com)–Fold3.com
- Historic Map Works Library Edition–Proquest.historicmapworks.com/
- Paper Trail–Genealogytoday.com
- World Vital Records–Worldvitalrecords.com
- See this link for more information on these collections.
Hardware and Equipment
- The Center has six modern computers, two microfilm readers, a microfiche reader and a printer.
Staff and Schedule
Below is the list of our staff members and their scheduled hours with notes about special training they have acquired through their years of experience. If you have run into a roadblock in your research and are in need of extra special help, try letting us see what we can do.
|Clyde Nihipali||Crew Chief. Skilled in the use of FamilySearch and has film ordering expertise.|
||Vacant Position||The FHC needs a volunteer for this shift!|
|Marcie Maynes||Crew Chief. An enthusiastic researcher. Eager to assist patrons.|
||Dianne Esplin||A former Family History Center director and avid researcher.|
||Debbie Farnsworth||Graciously filling in for Dianne Esplin while she receives special training at work. (substitute)|
|Pat Murphy||Crew Chief. Experienced in colonial-period research and Irish research.|
||Benjamin Hudson||An enthusiastic researcher. First Tuesdays only.|
||Everett Ulbricht||An experienced family history consultant skilled at research assistance. Second Tuesdays only.|
||Erik Maxon||Eager to assist you. Third and fifth Tuesdays only.|
||Tom Higgins||At your service on fourth Tuesdays only.|
|Joyanna Carlton||Crew Chief. Highly skilled genealogical sleuth with wide experience.|
||Lori Weston||Avid student of family tree research, well grounded in sound methodology and record keeping.|
|Tom Higgins||Skilled in reading French language records and genealogical research in New England, Nova Scotia, Quebec, New France and France. He is the director of the Center.|
||Dan Baptist||Experienced with Oregon public records. Skilled at mining Ancestry.com databases.|
Resources in the Local Area
- 717 N Grand Blvd., Vancouver, WA 98661
- (360) 750-5688
- 2505 S.E. 11th Ave., Suite B-18, Portland, OR 97202
- (503) 963-1932
Davies Family Research Library in Oregon Historical Society Museum
- 1200 SW Park Ave., Portland, OR 97205
- (503) 222-1741
- 3605 NE 15th Ave., Portland, OR, 97212
- (503) 988-5362
- 250 Winter St. NE, Salem, OR, 97301
- Point Plaza East, 6880 Capital Blvd., Tumwater, WA 98501
- (360) 704-5200
Oregon Vital Records: The Center for Health Statistics and Vital Records
- 800 NE Oregon St., Suite 205, Portland, OR 97232
- (973) 673-1180 (General Information)
- (973) 673-1190 (Ordering Information)
Washington Vital Records: Washington Department of Health-Center of Health Statistics
- Town Center 1, 101 Israel Rd., Tumwater, WA 98501
- (360) 236-4300
Volunteer at the Center
We always welcome a new face at our center. Whether you are able to take on a weekly shift in the family history center or are more interested in serving as an occasional substitute, we would love to hear from you. Please email us at VancouverWest@ldsmail.net.