Veryan, Cornwall Genealogy
Guide to Veryan, Cornwall ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Veryan Round Houses
|Poor Law Union||Truro|
|Parish registers: 1683|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1602|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall|
|Location of Archive|
|Cornwall Record Office|
VERYAN (St. Sympholiana), a parish, in the union of Truro, W. division of the hundred of Powder and of the county of Cornwall, 4 miles (S. by W.) from Tregoney.
The village is probably best known for the five Round Houses built in the early 19th century for the Reverend Jeremiah Trist, each with thatched roofs and a cross on top; they stand two at either end of the village and one in the centre. They are often said to have been built round so that there was no corner for the Devil to hide and that the crosses on the roofs were intended to drive the Devil away but there is little or no evidence for this.
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD.
Veryan, Cornwall Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Veryan, Cornwall Genealogy Online Parish Records|
|FS PRs||1602-1673, 1683-1795||1602-1673, 1683-1795, 1823-1906||1602-1673, 1683-1795, 1829-1959|
Images of parish registers are available online at FamilySearch Images refer to Cornwall Record Office reference: P 244
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource is the Cornwall Online Parish Clerks page for the parish.
The history, registers and much more have been contributed by the Online Parish clerk for Veryan.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241270.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cornwall Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable websites are:
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain
Veryan in GENUKI
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 428-429. Date accessed: 23 March 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 2 December 2013.
- 'Database Coverage,' Cornwall Parish Register Index, accessed 1 February 2014.
- 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 22 November 2013.
- 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- 'Cornwall Burials', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- 'Cornwall Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 15 November 2013.
- 'England, Cornwall and Devon Parish Registers, 1538-2010', FamilySearch, accessed 25 November 2013.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Cornwall, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 21 November 2013.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- 'Parish Records,' TheGenealogist, accessed 20 May 2014.