Vest-Agder is a county in Norway, bordering Rogaland to the west and Aust-Agder to the east. In 2002 there were 157,851 inhabitants, which is 3.4% of the total population in Norway. The county administration is in Kristiansand.
It is the southernmost county in Norway, extending inland from the North Sea and its arm, the Skagerrak. Most of the habitation lies along the coast, including the towns Kristiansand, Mandal, Flekkefjord, and Farsund. Some 31 fjords are located there. Shipping, commerce and recreation are the main industries. As the Gulf Stream touches the coast of Vest-Agder, it is also called "the Norwegian Riviera".
Family History Resources
Government Offices and Sites
Kristiansand includes Finsland, Kristiansand, Oddernes, Søgne, Tveit and Øvrebø clerical districts.
Kvinesdal and Sirdal includes Bakke, Fjotaland, Flekkefjord, Kvinesdal and Sirdal clerical districts.
Lista and Lyngdal includes Herad, Hægebostad, Lyngdal and Vanse (Lista) clerical districts.
Mandal and Audnedal includes Bjelland, Holum, Mandal, Nord-Audnedal, Sør-Audnedal and Åseral clerical districts.
Cities, Parishes, Clerical Districts in Vest-Agder County
Church Records/Civil Registration
- These are the most important records you will use, and a majority of your research will be found in them. All civil registration was kept by the church parishes until 2012.
- By clicking on the parish links above, you may find direct links to all the records for that parish.
- You do not have to be fluent in Norwegian. These records use a very limited, specialized vocabulary that is easy to learn. For help reading and interpreting theses records, see Norwegian Genealogical Word List, Norway Handwriting, and Reading Scandinavian Gothic Handwritten Records Lessons 1: Scandinavian Gothic Letters, 2: Names, Words, and Dates, and 3: Handwritten Records.
- For more detail on the contents of these records and how to use them, see Norway Church Records and Norway Civil Registration.
- Mandal prosti, Prestemanntall 15, 1664 - 1666
- Lista prosti, Prestemanntall 16, 1664 - 1666
- Råbyggelag fogderi, Fogdemanntall 8, 1664 - 1665
- Mandal fogderi, Fogdemanntall 9, 1664 - 1666
- Lista fogderi, Fogdemanntall 10, 1664
- 1801 Census
- 1865 Census
- 1875 Census Partial
- Norway Census, 1875 FamilySearch database
- 1885 Census (Cities only)
- 1891 Census (scanned)
- 1900 Census
- 1910 Census
1886 and 1838 land registers are found at The Norwegian Historical Data Centre. These are Excel files, which can be downloaded. The give the name of the farm, the farm owner, and the amount of tax. Both farms and sub-farms are included.