Europe Norway Vestfold County
Guide to Vestfold County, Norway ancestry, family history, and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Vestfold is a county in Norway, bordering Buskerud and Telemark. Many islands are located at the coast. Vestfold is mostly dominated by lowland and is among the best agricultural areas of Norway. Vestfold is known for shipping and sailing. Formerly a headquarters for whaling fleets, the coastal towns of Vestfold now engage in fishing and shipbuilding.
Cities, Parishes, Clerical Districts in Vestfold County
- Brunlanes prosti, Prestemanntall 11, 1664 - 1666
- Tønsberg prosti, Prestemanntall 10, 1664 - 1666 (include some parishes in Buskerud county)
- Eiker og Lier fogderi, Numedal og Sandsvær fogderi, Brunla fogderi, Fogdemanntall 5, 1664 (Brunla Fogderi only)
- Solør, Odal og Østerdal fogderi, Larvik grevskap, Manntall 2, 1701
- 1801 Census
- 1865 Census
- 1875 Census Partial
- Norway Census, 1875 FamilySearch database
- 1885 Census (cities only)
- 1891 Census (Scanned)
- 1900 Census
- 1910 Census
Photos of churches in Vestfold
Family History Resources
Government Offices and Sites
1886 and 1838 land registers are found at The Norwegian Historical Data Centre. These are Excel files, which can be downloaded. The give the name of the farm, the farm owner, and the amount of tax. Both farms and sub-farms are included.
Digitised probate records for Vestfold county
Probate Records for Tønsberg and Holmestrand 1696-1801 (1782)
Probate Registers for Larvik 1672-1812
Return to Norway Page