Virginia's Botetourt Artillery
From FamilySearch Wiki
- Botetourt Light Artillery AKA - Douthat's Company, Virginia Light Artillery
- Organized in May 1861, as an infantry company
- Assigned to the 28th Regiment Virginia Infantry
- In December 1861 transferred to the artillery.
- The unit soon moved west and was attached to the Department of East Tennessee and later the Department of Mississippi and East Louisiana.
- It contained 43 men in January 1863
- It was the only Virginia unit to be captured at Vicksburg.
- After being exchanged, it served in the Department of Western Virginia and East Tennessee where it was active in various conflicts.
- During April 1865, the company disbanded.
- Its commanders were Captains Joseph W. Anderson, Henry C. Douthat, and John W. Johnston.
Men from Botetourt County