Virginia's Martin Battery

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Brief History

  • Organized in April 1862, with men from North Carolina and Virginia.
  • For a time it was attached to the 12th Battalion Virginia Artillery.
  • Later the men from North Carolina were transferred to the 13th North Carolina Artillery Battalion.
  • This company served at Suffolk, then was assigned to F. G. Boggs', B. F. Eshleman's, and N. A. Sturdivant's Battalion of Artillery.
  • Much of the time it was attached to the Department of Richmond and on duty south of the James River.
  • The unit had 1 man wounded at Kelly's Store and in February 1864, totaled 48 effectives.
  • In March 1865, it was converted to heavy artillery and manned the guns on the outer line below Richmond.
  • Captain S. Taylor Martin was in command.

Companies

Roster

Source Material