War of 1812, 1812 to 1815
The War of 1812 between the United States and Great Britain began formally on June 18, 1812 when the U.S. Congress ratified the declaration of war. After two and a half years of fighting, the treaty of Ghent was signed 24 December 1814. However another land battle was fought 8 January 1815 at New Orleans because neither side had heard the news of the peace treaty. The U.S. Congress ratified the treaty on 17 February 1815, formally ending the war. Two naval battles were fought afterwards, again because the news of the treaty had not reached all the combatants.
Countries Involved in the War
- Canada. Canada in the War of 1812 has history, military records, and links to websites concerning Canadian military forces, civilians, and First Nations.
- Great Britain. Great Britain in the War of 1812 has history, military records, and links to websites concerning British military forces.
- United States. United States in the War of 1812 has history, military records, and links to websites concerning U.S. military forces and civilians.
Native Americans / First Nations
- American Indians. American Indians in the War of 1812 lists tribes that fought with the British and U.S. forces, and links to websites concerning their involvement in the war.
- Canadian Aboriginal Peoples. First Nations in the War of 1812
- African Americans. African Americans in the War of 1812 has military records, and other information specific to African Americans in the war.
- PBS The War of 1812 Website is a documentary about the war.
- PBS, The War of 1812, has a short video with information about the war. It also has lists of historic locations with short histories of each.
- History.com, War of 1812, has several short videos about the war as well as brief written histories of the war and a few prominent people.
- Galafilm, War of 1812, has brief histories of events, historical maps, a bibliography, and lists of links to other Internet sites about the war.
- Fredriksen, John C. "Resource Guide for the War of 1812". ([S.l.]: J.C. Fredriksen, c1979). FHL book 973 M23f
- Malcomson, Robert. Historical Dictionary of the War of 1812. (Lanham, Maryland: Scarecrow Press, 2006). 701 pages. FHL book 973 H26
- Dudley, William S. The Naval War of 1812: a Documentary History. (Washington, District of Columbia, Naval Historical Center, Department of the Navy 1985-2002). FHL Book 973 M3
- Heidler, David S. and Jeanne T. Heidler. Encyclopedia of the War of 1812 (Santa Barbara, California: ABC-CLIO, c1997). 636 pages. FHL Book 973 H26
- Hickey, Donald R. The War of 1812, a Forgotten Conflict (Chicago, Illinois: University of Illinois Press, 1989). 457 pages. FHL Book 973 H2
- Horsman, Reginald The War of 1812 (New York, New York, Alfred A Knophf, 1969) pages 286 FHL Book 973 H2
- Jacobs, James Ripley and Glenn Tucker, The War of 1812 : a compact history (New York, New York, Hawthorn Books copyright 1969)
- Latimer, Jon: 1812: war with America (Cambridge, Massachusette: Belknap Press, c2007 pages 637 FHL Book 973 M2
- Lossing, Benson J. The pictorial field-book of the War of 1812: or, Illustrations, by Pen and Pencil, of the history, biography, scenery, relics, and traditions of the last war for American independence (Salt Lake City: Digitized by the Genealogical Society of Utah c2009) View a great digital version
- War of 1812 newspaper clippings and pictures (Frankfort, Kentucky, Kentucky Historical Society, 1966) FHL film 482877
- Queenston, Ontario (British victory) - 13 October 1812
- Battle of Frenchtown(British victory) - 22 January 1813 at what is now Monroe, Michigan on the Raisin River
- Battle of Lake Erie (Wikipedia)
- Battle of the Thames (Wikipedia) (Both sides claimed victory) - 5 October 1813 at Moraviantown, on Thames River, Kent County, Ontario
- Battle of Lundy's Lane (Both sides claimed victory) - 25 July 1814 about one mile from Niagara Falls
- Battle of New Orleans (United States victory) (after peace treaty was signed) 8 January 1815
- Campaigns of the War of 1812-1815, against Great Britain, sketched and criticised; with brief biographies of the American engineers, George W. Cullum. FHL microfilm 1404257
- Paine, Ralph Delahaye, The Fight for a Free Sea: a Chronicle of the War of 1812, New Haven, Connecticut, (Yale University Press, 1920). FHL Book 235 973 H2
- War of 1812 Pension and Bounty Land Application Files are available for free at fold3.com
- Wikipedia contributors, War of 1812 Article
- War of 1812 Genealogical Research has links to various War of 1812 websites.
- Causes and events of the War of 1812: a Timeline - includes political events, military events, and military events in Europe.
- War of 1812 Resources - list of resources available in the Newberry Library.
- Cyndi's List 1812 rosters
- Olive Tree Genealogy, War of 1812 Genealogy and History
- National Archives. War of 1812 Discharge Certificates, (accessed 25 April 2012).