Washington, Seattle, Passenger and Crew Lists of Airplanes (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Washington, Seattle, Passenger and Crew Lists of Airplanes, 1947-1954 .
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Seattle, King County, Washington, United States|
|Flag of Washington|
|Location of Washington|
|Record Type||Passenger and Crew Lists|
What is in the Collection?
This collection consists of passenger and crew lists of airplanes arriving at Seattle, Washington, March 1947 - November 1954. This collection corresponds to NARA Publication M1386. It covers the years 1947 to 1954.
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Washington, Seattle, Passenger and Crew Lists of Airplanes, 1947-1954.|
The records may contain any of the following:
- Port and date of departure
- Port and date of entry
- Name of ship
- Country of citizenship
- Name of passenger, including maiden name of women
- Names of persons accompanying passenger
- Age, gender, marital status and occupation of passenger
- Date and place of birth of passenger
- Address of last permanent residence
- Name and address of friend or relative at last address
- Final destination
- Name and address of friend or relative in U.S.
- Physical description and distinguishing marks
- Who paid for passage
- Purpose of visit
How Do I Search the Collection?
To begin your search, it is helpful to know
- The full name of your ancestor
- The approximate date of immigration
If you do not know this information, check the census records after 1900.
Search the Collection
To search the collection by name:
Fill in the requested information in the boxes on the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the individuals in the list to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to look at the information on several individuals comparing the information about them to your ancestors to make this determination.
To browse by image:
To search the collection you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒ Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page
⇒ Select the "Year Range" which takes you to the images.
Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life.
What do I do Next?
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details that can lead you to other records about your ancestors. Add this new information to your records of each family. For example, you can use passenger lists to:
- Learn an immigrant’s place of origin
- Confirm their date of arrival
- Learn foreign and “Americanized” names
- Find records in his or her country of origin such as emigrations, port records, or ship’s manifests.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- If your ancestor had a common name, be sure to look at all the entries for a name before you decide which is correct.
- Continue to search the passenger lists to identify siblings, parents, and other relatives in the same or other generations who may have immigrated at the same time.
- If your ancestor has an uncommon surname, you may want to obtain the passenger list of every person who shares your ancestor’s surname if they lived in the same county or nearby. You may not know how or if they are related, but the information could lead you to more information about your own ancestors.
What if I Can't Find Who I'm Looking For?
- Check for variant spellings of the name.
- Look for an index. Records are often indexed by local historical and genealogical societies.
- Search the passenger lists year by year.
- Search the indexes of other port cities.
|Don't overlook FHL Keyword Washington, King items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see the wiki article Washington Archives and Libraries. For additional information about this county see the wiki article King County, Washington.|
- NARA Seattle Passenger and Crew List Collection Description M1386
- NARA Seattle Passenger List Collection Description M1398
- NARA Ship Passenger Arrival Records and Land Border Entries
Related Wiki Articles
How You Can Contribute
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citing this Collection
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
- “Washington, Seattle, Passenger and Crew Lists of Airplanes, 1947-1954.” Database and images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2016. Citing NARA Publication M1386. National Archives and Record Administration, Washington, D.C.
Record Citation (or citation for the index entry):
|The citation for a record is available with each record in this collection, at the bottom of the record screen. You can search records in this collection by visiting the search page for Washington, Seattle, Passenger and Crew Lists of Airplanes, 1947-1954.|
|The image citation is available by clicking on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Washington, Seattle, Passenger and Crew Lists of Airplanes, 1947-1954.|