Watford, Hertfordshire Genealogy
|England Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to Watford, Hertfordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Watford, is a town, a parish, and a district, in Hertfordshire. The town stands on Watling-street, the river Colne, the Northwestern railway and at the juntion of the branches to Rickmansworth and St. Albans. There are four dissenting churches, a cemetery and 2 chapels. The parish includes Oxhey, Cashio, and Leavesden hamlets. In 1851 there were places of worship for the Church of England, Independents, Baptists, Wesleyans, the Catholic and Apostolic church, and Latter Day Saints.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Watford, Hertfordshire Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Watford, Hertfordshire Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Oxhey chapelry registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Oxhey Chapelry Online Records|
Leavesden Green, Watford registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Leavesden Green, Watford Online Records|
|HERTS||To 1837 and later|
Watford St Andrew parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Watford St Andrew Parish Online Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 288827.
The Clement and Clement John Heaton family of Watford is listed in Family History The Journal of The Institute of Heraldic and Genealogical Studies July 1979 Vol 10 No. 69/70 New Series No. 45/46 pgs 236-242, 247.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Hertfordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Watford on GENUKI
- Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848. Adapted. Date accessed: 12 January 2014.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 13 December 2013.
- 'The Hertfordshire Collection,' findmypast, accessed 4 March 2014.
- 'Marriages and Marriage Licences (1538-1922),' Hertfordshire County Council, accessed 6 March 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Hertford, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 11 December 2013.
- Hertfordshire Coverage, The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 12 December 2013.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 12 December 2013.