Waukesha County, Wisconsin Genealogy
Guide to Waukesha County Wisconsin ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 County Information
- 2 Places / Localities
- 3 Resources
- 3.1 Bible Records
- 3.2 Biography
- 3.3 Cemeteries
- 3.4 Census
- 3.5 Church History and Records
- 3.6 Court Records
- 3.7 Crime and Criminals
- 3.8 Directories
- 3.9 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 3.10 Gazetteers
- 3.11 Genealogy
- 3.12 History
- 3.13 Land and Property
- 3.14 Maps
- 3.15 Migration
- 3.16 Military History and Records
- 3.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 3.18 Newspapers
- 3.19 Obituaries
- 3.20 Periodicals
- 3.21 Probate Records
- 3.22 Repositories
- 3.23 Societies
- 3.24 Taxation
- 3.25 Vital Records
- 3.26 Voting Registers
- 4 Web Sites
- 5 References
Waukesha County, Wisconsin Record Dates
For animated maps illustrating Wisconsin County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Wisconsin County Boundary Maps" (1790-1961) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Vital records were not required until 1907. Before that time some civil records are available according to the dates below:
Births are available circa 1860 - present
Death records are available circa 1872 - present
Marriage records are available circa 1846-present
Records prior to the 1846 may be found in Milwaukee County
Places / Localities
- Towns, Villages and Townships - Waukesha County Online Genealogy and Family History Library
- Waukesha County Gazatteer - Wi Home Town Locator
- 1880 Biographical Index: History Of Waukesha County, Wisconsin, 1880 - USGenWeb Archives
- 1894 Biographical Index: Portrait And Biographical Record Of Waukesha County, Wisconsin, 1894 - USGenWeb Archives
- 1907 Biographical Index: Memoirs Of Waukesha County, Wisconsin, 1907 - USGenWeb Archives
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Wisconsin Cemeteries for more information.|
- 1838-1930 - State and Federal Census Extracts Listed by township. WIGenWeb project
- 1855 - 1855 Wisconsin State Census This census includes name of head of family; other individuals in the household are identified by sex and race, number of deaf and dumb, blind, insane and foreign born.
- 1865 - 1865 Wisconsin State Census Name index and images of the 1865 State Census which names the head of household. Most records have been destroyed but schedules exist for the following counties: Dunn, Green, Jackson, Kewaunee, Ozaukee, and Sheboygan.
- 1875 - 1875 Wisconsin State Census Identifies head of household by name.
- 1885 - Wisconsin State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch — index and images. Search indexed census. Identifies by name of head of household. Other information is statistical and identifies the rest of the household by race, gender and country of birth.
- 1895 - Wisconsin State Census, 1895 at FamilySearch — index and images. Identifies head of household by name. Other information is statistical.
- 1905 - Wisconsin State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — Name index and images of population. Enumerates by name all inhabitants.
Church History and Records
Dr. Martin Luther Lutheran Church, Oconomowoc
- Records of Dr. Martin Luther Lutheran Church, Oconomowoc, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
St. John's (Pine Lake) Lutheran Church, Oconomowoc
Crime and Criminals
Newspaper clipping from Waukesha Daily Paper; dated 6 January 1952; entitled: 1840 Date of First Death Recorded in Merton Town. Was the second in a series of articles tracing the history of Merton. Taken from a paper presenting to the Waukesha county historical society by William Kuntz. This is only a snipit of the article.
"In 1840 the first death occurred in the town of Merton. It was that of Martin Molster, who died in January of that year. Tragedy stalked the shores of Lake Keesus where two young men were drowned while bathing in the lake. They had been employed in a maple sugar camp nearby. "
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- The History of Waukesha County, Wisconsin. Chicago : Western Historical Company. Containing an account of its settlement, growth, development and resources; an extensive and minute sketch of its cities, towns and villages--their improvements, industries, manufactories, churches, schools and societies; its war record, biographical sketches, portraits of prominent men and early settlers; the whole preceded by a history of Wisconsin, statistics of the state, and an abstract of its laws and Constitution and of the Constitution of the United States (1880). Online at Internet Archives www.archive.org.
Land and Property
- Wisconsin Land Patents Database: Waukesha County Alphabetica links. USGenWeb Archives
- Old Antique Atlases & Maps of Wisconsin
- Overlay of Waukesha County outline over google map. Wi Home Town Locator.
- Waukesha County Internet Mapping Site. Shows Townships, Towns, Roads. (Need high speed connection and disable any pop-up blockers.)
- Download PDF of Plat Map Index of Waukesha County Showing Townships (2 pages).
Military History and Records
- Veteran and Soldier Military History USGenWeb Archives
Civil War service men from Waukesha County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are many companies or regiments that were formed from men of Waukesha County.
- -1st Regiment, Wisconsin Cavalry, Company F
- - 3rd Regiment, Wisconsin Cavalry, Company D
- - 5th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Companies F and G
- - 5th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry Reorganized, Company C
- - 6th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company K
- - 11th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company D
- - 15th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company D
Naturalization and Citizenship
- Waukesha County Daily Freeman ($ need ancestry.com subscription)
- 1800 – 1987 Wisconsin Wills and Probate Records 1800-1987 at Ancestry.com — images and index $
- 1848 – 1948 Wisconsin Probate Estate Files 1848-1948 at FamilySearch — images
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Waukesha County Historical Society
101 W Main St
Waukesha County Genealogical Society
PO Box 1541
Waukesha, WI 53187-1541
Big Bend-Vernon Historical Society
PO Box 68
Big Bend, WI 53103-0068
Elmbrook Historical Society
PO Box 292
Brookfield, WI 53008-0292
Genesee Heritage Society
PO Box 52
Genesee DepotWI 53127-0052
Hartland Historical Society
PO Box 54
Hartland, WI 53029;
Hawks Inn Historical Society
426 Wells St
Menomonee Falls Historical Society
PO Box 91
Menomonee Falls, WI 53052-0091
Muskego Historical Society
PO Box 137
Muskego, WI 53150;
New Berlin Historical Society
5575 S Maberry Ln
New Berlin, WI 53146
Oconomowoc Historical Society
103 W Jefferson St
Oconomowoc, WI 53066-0969
Pewaukee Area Historical Society
PO Box 104
Pewaukee, WI 53072
Waukesha Engine Historical Society
1000 W St Paul Ave
Waukesha, WI 53188
- 1826 - 1926 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings, 1826-1926 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820 - 1907 Wisconsin, Birth Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1826 - 1908 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings Index, 1826-1908 at Ancestry.com — index $
- Waukesha County Family Page WIGenWeb project
- 1836 - 1930 Wisconsin, Marriages, 1836-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1973 - 1997 Wisconsin, Marriage Index, 1973-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1973 - 1997 Wisconsin Marriages, 1973-1997 at Ancestry.com — index/images $
- Waukesha County Family Page WIGenWeb project
- 1867 - 1907 Wisconsin, Death Records, 1867-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1835 - 1968 Wisconsin, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1968 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820 - 1907 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1959 - 1997 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1959-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- Deaths, Burials, Funerals and Cemetery Records Waukesha County - WIGenWeb project
- Waukesha County, WI History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Waukesha County Online Genealogy and Family History Library
- US GenWeb Archives, Waukesha County
- Linkpendium Waukesha County
- WI GenWeb Waukesha County
- Waukesha County Genealogical Society
- ancestry.com Waukesha County Search ($ need ancestry.com subscription)
- Cyndi's List Wisconsin Page (scroll down or search down to "Waukesha")
- Live Roots - Waukesha County Page
- Wis Genealogy Trails - Waukesha County Page
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- "Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: An Inventory of Selected Congregational Records of the American Lutheran Church in Minnesota at the Minnesota Historical Society," Collection Finding Aids, Minnesota Historical Society, http://www.mnhs.org/library/findaids/01009.xml, accessed 10 June 2013.