Wellington, Somerset Genealogy
Guide to Wellington, Somerset ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Wellington|
|Parish registers: 1683|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1612|
|Diocese||Bath and Wells|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Taunton|
|Location of Archive|
|Somerset Record Office|
WELLINGTON (St. John the Baptist), a market town and parish, and the head of a union, forming, with the parish of West Buckland, one of the two unconnected portions which comprise the W. division of the hundred of Kingsbury, in the W. division of Somerset, 149 miles (W. S. W.) from London. There are places of worship for Baptists, the Society of Friends, Independents, and Wesleyans; also almshouses.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Wellington, Somerset Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|WELLINGTON PARISH Online Records|
Wellington St John parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|WELLINGTON ST JOHN PARISH Online Records|
Wellington All Saints parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|WELLINGTON ALL SAINTS PARISH Online Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474601.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Somerset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Date accessed and adapted: 26 September 2013.
- 'Somerset, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1531-1812,' Ancestry, accessed 26 July 2016.
- 'Somerset, England, Baptisms, 1813-1913,' Ancestry, accessed 26 July 2016.
- 'Somerset, England, Marriage Registers, Bonds and Allegations, 1754-1914,' Ancestry, accessed 26 July 2016.
- 'Somerset, England, Church of England Burials, 1813-1914,' Ancestry, accessed 26 July 2016.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- 'Somerset Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 17 October 2013.
- 'IGI Batch Numbers for Somerset, England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 21 October 2013.
- 'Somerset Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 18 October 2013.
- 'Somerset Marriages', findmypast (WayBack Machine), accessed 29 April 2014.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 17 October 2013.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- Somerset Online Parish Clerks Genealogy, accessed 22 October 2013.