West Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
Guide to West Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|West Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||March 31, 1807|
|County Seat||Port Allen|
|Address|| 850 8th Street|
Port Allen, LA 70767
- 1 Parish Information
- 2 Parish Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Biographies
- 5.3 Cemeteries
- 5.4 Census
- 5.5 Church
- 5.6 Court
- 5.7 Land
- 5.8 Local Histories
- 5.9 Maps
- 5.10 Military
- 5.11 Newspapers
- 5.12 Obituaries
- 5.13 Probate
- 5.14 Taxation
- 5.15 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
West Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana Record Dates
West Baton Rouge Parish Courthouse
P O Box 107
Port Allen, LA 70767-0757
Clerk Court has birth, marriage, probate and land records.
- 1807--West Baton Rouge Parish was created 31 March 1807 from Pointe Coupee Parish.
Parish seat: Port Allen 
For animated maps illustrating Louisiana Parish boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Louisiana Parish Boundary Maps" (1805-1990) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
Neighboring Parishes or Counties
- Louisiana African American Griots Project ~ USGenWeb Project
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
- 1719-1820 - West Baton Rouge Parish Slave Records (Genealogy Trails)
- West Baton Rouge Parish Biographies (Genealogy Trails)
- Index to West Baton Rouge Parish Biographies (USGenWeb Archives)
The following web sites may have additional information on West Baton Rouge Parish cemeteries.
- Interment.net Louisiana cemetery records by Parish.
- African American Cemeteries ~ listing by county
|West Baton Rouge Parish Census Data|
- West Baton Rouge Parish Census Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Louisiana Census Images ~ USGenWeb Census Images Project
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Louisiana denominations, view the Louisiana Church Records wiki page.
- West Baton Rouge Parish Court Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
Local histories are available for West Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories.
- Louisiana Military History Online
- 1818-1872 - West Baton Rouge Pensioners, 1818-1872 (Genealogy Trails)
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1898-1950 - Louisiana Confederate Pensions, 1898-1950 at FamilySearch — images
World War I
World War II
- 1940-1945 - Louisiana First Registration Draft Cards, compiled 1940-1945 at FamilySearch — index and images
- West Baton Rouge Enlistments, World War II (Genealogy Trails)
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as West Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- West Baton Rouge Parish Obituaries and Death Notices (Genealogy Trails)
- Index to West Baton Rouge Parish Obituaries (USGenWeb Archives)
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the West Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana Genealogy clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Louisiana Probate Records ~ information on.
Online Probate Records
- 1756 – 1984 Louisiana Wills and Probate Records 1756-1984 at Ancestry.com Ancestry.com — index and images $
Louisiana tax records can be used in place of missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Louisiana Taxation.
Louisiana statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1911. Births and deaths are kept by the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. Marriages were recorded by each parish, and the records are at the parish clerk of court office. See also How to order Louisiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Louisiana Vital Records for more information on getting Louisiana records.
- Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
- 1847-1853 - West Baton Rouge Parish Birth Records (Genealogy Trails)
- 1837–1957 - Louisiana, Parish Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- West Baton Rouge Parish Marriage Records (Genealogy Trails)
- West Baton Rouge Parish Death Records (Genealogy Trails)
Societies and Libraries
West Baton Rouge Genealogical Society
PO Box 1126
Port Allen 70767-1126
West Baton Rouge Museum and Historical Society
845 North Jefferson Ave.
Port Allen 70767-2417
Telephone: 225-336-2422 or 1-888-881-6811
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- West Baton Rouge Parish, LA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- West Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana, USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog
- West Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- West Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana, Genealogy and History (Genealogy Trails)
- West Baton Rouge Parish LA Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 264-278. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed., West Carroll Parish, Louisiana p 293 (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- United States Census Bureau. "West Baton Rouge Parish Quickfacts". http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/22/22121.html. Retrieved 2008-02-02.
- United States Census Bureau. "Louisiana Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/la190090.txt. Retrieved 2008-02-02.