West Carroll Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
Guide to West Carroll Parish, Louisiana ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|West Carroll Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||March 28, 1877|
|County Seat||Oak Grove|
|Address|| 305 East Main Street|
Oak Grove, LA 71263
- 1 Parish Information
- 2 Parish Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Bible Records
- 5.3 Biographies
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Land
- 5.9 Local Histories
- 5.10 Maps
- 5.11 Military
- 5.12 Newspapers
- 5.13 Obituaries
- 5.14 Probate
- 5.15 Taxation
- 5.16 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
West Carroll Parish, Louisiana Record Dates
1877--West Carroll Parish was created 28 March 1877 from Carroll (Old) Parish.
Parish seat: Oak Grove 
For animated maps illustrating Louisiana Parish boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Louisiana Parish Boundary Maps" (1805-1990) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
Neighboring Parishes or Counties
- Louisiana African American Griots Project ~ USGenWeb Project
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
- West Carroll Parish Bible Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Biography of Charles Carroll (of Carrollton)(1737-1832) (LAGenWeb Project)
- Index to West Carroll Parish Biographies (USGenWeb Archives)
- West Carroll Parish Biographies (Genealogy Trails)
The following web sites may have additional information on West Carroll Parish cemeteries.
- Interment.net Louisiana cemetery records by Parish.
- African American Cemeteries ~ listing by county
|West Carroll Parish Census Data|
- West Carroll Parish Census Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- West Carroll Parish Census Data (LAGenWeb Project)
- Louisiana Census Images ~ USGenWeb Census Images Project
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Louisiana denominations, view the Louisiana Church Records wiki page.
- Louisiana Historical Church Information
- Directory of Churches in Louisiana ~ by city ~ Church Angel
- West Carroll Parish Church Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- West Carroll Parish Court Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
- 1838 - West Carroll Parish Land Records, 1839 (Genealogy Trails)
- West Carroll Parish Land Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Local histories are available for West Carroll Parish, Louisiana Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories.
- Louisiana Museums
- West Carroll Parish History Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1879 - West Carroll Parish 1879 Voter Registration (Genealogy Trails)
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1898-1950 - Louisiana Confederate Pensions, 1898-1950 at FamilySearch — images
Regiments. Service men in West Carroll Parish, Louisiana Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in West Carroll Parish, Louisiana Genealogy:
- - 6th Battalion Arkansas Cavalry (Confederate), Company D
World War I
World War II
- 1940-1945 - Louisiana First Registration Draft Cards, compiled 1940-1945 at FamilySearch — index and images
- World War II Honor List of Dead and Missing Army & Army Air Forces Personnel, West Carroll Parish, Louisiana (Genealogy Trails)
- Louisiana Newspaper List ~ listing by name/parish ~ USNPL
- Louisiana Newspaper ~ listing ~ Newslink
- West Carroll Parish Newspaper Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as West Carroll Parish, Louisiana Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- West Carroll Parish Obituaries (Genealogy Trails)
- Index to West Carroll Parish Obituaries, Surnames A-G, Surnames H-P, Surnames Q-Z (USGenWeb Archives)
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the West Carroll Parish, Louisiana Genealogy clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Louisiana Probate Records ~ information on.
Online Probate Records
- 1756-1984 - Louisiana Wills and Probate Records 1756-1984 at Ancestry.com Ancestry.com — index and images $
- West Carroll Parish Wills and Successions (USGenWeb Archives)
Louisiana tax records can be used in place of missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Louisiana Taxation.
- 1891-1892 West Carroll Parish 1891-1892 Tax Assessment Rolls (Genealogy Trails)
Louisiana statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1911. Births and deaths are kept by the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. Marriages were recorded by each parish, and the records are at the parish clerk of court office. See also How to order Louisiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Louisiana Vital Records for more information on getting Louisiana records.
- Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
- West Carroll Parish Vital Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1837-1957 - Louisiana, Parish Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- West Carroll Parish Marriage Records (Genealogy Trails)
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- West Carroll Parish, LA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- West Carroll Parish, LAGenWeb
- West Carroll Parish, Louisiana, USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog
- West Carroll Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- West Carroll Parish, Louisiana, Genealogy and History (Genealogy Trails)
- West Carroll Parish LA Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 264-278. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed., West Carroll Parish, Louisiana p 293 (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- United States Census Bureau. "Louisiana Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/la190090.txt. Retrieved 2008-02-02.