Whitehaven St Nicholas, Cumberland Genealogy
Guide to Whitehaven St Nicholas, Cumberland ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Whitehaven St Nicholas, Cumberland|
|Hundred||Allerdale above Derwent|
|Poor Law Union||Whitehaven|
|Parish registers: 1694|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1705|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries - Copeland|
|Location of Archive|
|Cumberland Record Office|
WHITEHAVEN, a sea-port, market-town, newly enfranchised borough, and the head of a union, in the parish of St. Bees, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 40 miles (S. W.) from Carlisle. Whitehaven contains four chapels: St. James, St. Nicholas, Holy Trinity and Mount Pleasant. There are places of worship for Presbyterians, Particular Baptists, the Society of Friends, Independents, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Roman Catholics.
Bishop's transcriptsSt. Nicholas' Old Chapel Church, Whitehaven., 1705-1881
Some online transcriptions exist for this chapelry and the ancient parish of St Bees to which it was attached, at the following website[s] and ranges of years:
|FMP = findmypast (£)|
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|JOIN = JoinerMarriageIndex.co.uk - (£) (£)|
|ST NICHOLAS WHITEHAVEN Chapelry (1694) Online Records|
|ST BEES PARISH (1538) Online Records - to which St Nicholas Chapelry is attached|
Question – when do the registers actually begin? On the page for Computer Printouts for Whitehaven, St. Nicholas it states that the births and christenings begin in 1696, another filming begins in 1698, yet the published records by Stout appear to start in 1694? Check actual beginnings. Same questions exist for beginning of the marriages? Also note apparent gap in marriage registers from 1810 to 1814 (what are actual dates? Are there other gaps?)
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Church of Scotland/Scottish Presbyterian - Scots Presbyterian Church St. James Baptisms, 1756-1858
- Countess of Huntingdon Methodist
- Independent Methodist
- Presbyterian Church in England - Baptism transcripts, 1750-1893
- Primitive Methodist - Church records, 1839-1882
- Roman Catholic
- Society of Friends/Quaker - Society of Friends. Whitehaven Preparative Meeting Marriages, births and baptisms, 1679-1832
- United Presbyterian Church of Scotland - Carlisle Presbytery Church records for Carlisle United Presbytery, 1847-1876
- Wesleyan Methodist - Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. Hogarth Mission Church records, 1899-1952 Wesleyan Methodist Chapel Moor-Row Church records, 1888-1957
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel Cleator-Moor Church records, 1879-1932
- Wesleyan Methodist Association
- Wesleyan - Michael Street Chapel Births and baptisms, 1806-1837
- Independent -Baptisms, 1789-1836; burials, 1823-1833
- Bible Christian Church. Millom and Dalton Circuit (Lancashire) - Church records, 1870-1891
- Scots Presbyterian Church. - St. James Baptisms, 1756-1858
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. Two popular sites are:
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241277.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cumberland Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Whitehaven on GENUKI
- Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) Date accessed and adapted 8 August 2013.