Wiggenhall St Mary the Virgin, Norfolk Genealogy
|Wiggenhall St Mary the Virgin, Norfolk|
|Poor Law Union||Downham|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
WIGGENHALL (St. Mary the Virgin), a parish, in the union of Downham, hundred of FreebridgeMarshland, W. division of Norfolk, 5¾ miles (S. W. by S.) from Lynn. Here is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists. Also includes or is known as Saddlebow.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Downham 1837-1974
Wiggenhall St Mary the Virgin, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS ATs = England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812 (FamilySearch) - free|
|FS BTs = England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941 (FamilySearch) - free|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|Wiggenhall St Mary the Virgin, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
Registers for this parish are deposited at Wisbech & Fenland Museum
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438858.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Norfolk: Wiggenhall St Mary the Virgin on GenUKI
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp.571-575. Date accessed: 06 August 2013.
- Pat Newby, "Norfolk: Towns and Parishes", GenUKI
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.