Wilmington Delaware Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
Entrance to the Family History Center located halfway down the building on the right side
The Wilmington Delaware Family History Center (FHC) serves the Wilmington Delaware area. We are located in the west wing of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and are staffed by 15+ volunteers. Our Facility contains computers, Microfilm\fiche readers and a scanner. We also have hundreds of Microfilms and thousands of Microfiche in the FHC. Our staff is experienced in multi-cultural research including U.S., European, Hispanic and African-American. They are also familiar with research in multiple languages such as English, German, Italian, and Spanish.
The Wilmington Delaware FHC is open to the public. All are welcome and our services are free.
Center Contacts and Hours
- 143 Dickinson Lane, Wilmington, DE
- Please note, this is not a mailing address.
- Located in Westhaven (off Dupont Road between Kennett Pike (Route 52) Lancaster Pike (Route 48))
- There is ample parking on the side of the building.
- Please ring the bell or call, our staff will open the door.
Languages: English & Spanish
- Tuesdays:10:00am-1:00pm & 6:00pm-9:00pm
Holiday Schedule: Closed Memorial Day Weekend, Independence Day, Labor Day Weekend, Wed.-Sat. of Thanksgiving Week, and Dec. 22 - Jan. 1.
Inclement Weather: Closings posted with WDEL SnoWatch -- Snowatch
Calendar and Events
Staff Training Meetings
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog.
- Microfilms and Microfiche with information from many countries -- hundreds of Microfilms and thousands of Microfice are already available in this Family History Center.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions
- Premium Websites that can be accessed at the Center without charge:
- • Ancestry.com - Institution version
- • World Vital Records• Access Newspaper Archive
- • 19th Century British Library Newspaper Digital Archive
- • Alexander Street Press -- The American Civil War: Research Database | Letters and Diaries | Images, Photographs, Posters, and Ephemera Social and Cultural History | Women and Social Movements in the United States
- • ArkivDigital Online
- • Create your Who Do You Think You Are? Story, for free
- • Findmypast - Institution version
- • Fold3.com
- • Historic Map Works - Library Edition
- • LegacyStories
- • MyHeritage - Library Edition
- • Paper Trail
- • ProQuest Obituary Listings
- • Puzzilla.org - Premium Services
Hardware and Equipment
- Computers for online Family History Research.
- Microfilm and Microfiche Readers;
- Microfilm Scanner (with computer interface to load records to flash drives);
- Printer and Scanner to upload Pictures and Documents;
Staff Research Specialties
Resources in the Local Area
(This section is to highlight other resources in your area that will be helpful for individuals doing research there in your location, if there are any, such as government offices, historical societies, etc.)
(Include links to other websites of interest to those who visit your center such as links to the city, county and state wiki pages where your center is located.)
Volunteer at the Center
(Include information here about the volunteers you are looking for.)
Wiki articles describing online collections are found at:
- Delaware, Vital Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Delaware Wilmington City Vital Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)