Winnebago County, Wisconsin Genealogy
|United States||Wisconsin||Winnebago County|
Guide to Winnebago County Wisconsin ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 County Information
- 2 Historical Facts
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Bible Records
- 4.2 Biography
- 4.3 Cemeteries
- 4.4 Census
- 4.5 Church History and Records
- 4.6 Court Records
- 4.7 Crime and Criminals
- 4.8 Directories
- 4.9 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 4.10 Gazetteers
- 4.11 Genealogy
- 4.12 History
- 4.13 Land and Property
- 4.14 Maps
- 4.15 Migration
- 4.16 Military History and Records
- 4.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 4.18 Newspapers
- 4.19 Obituary
- 4.20 Periodicals
- 4.21 Probate Records
- 4.22 Repositories
- 4.23 Societies
- 4.24 Taxation
- 4.25 Vital Records
- 4.26 Voting Registers
- 5 Web Sites
- 6 References
Winnebago County, Wisconsin Record Dates
Winnebago County Courthouse
415 Jackson Street
Oshkosh, WI 54901
For animated maps illustrating Wisconsin County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Wisconsin County Boundary Maps" (1790-1961) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
- Winnebago County Biographies USGenWeb Archives
- Biography Resources for Winnebago County WIGenWeb project
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Wisconsin Cemeteries for more information.|
- Winnebago County Tombstone Photograph Pages USGenWeb Archives
- Census Resources for Winnebago County WIGenWeb project
- 1855 - 1855 Wisconsin State Census This census includes name of head of family; other individuals in the household are identified by sex and race, number of deaf and dumb, blind, insane and foreign born.
- 1865 - 1865 Wisconsin State Census Name index and images of the 1865 State Census which names the head of household. Most records have been destroyed but schedules exist for the following counties: Dunn, Green, Jackson, Kewaunee, Ozaukee, and Sheboygan.
- 1875 - 1875 Wisconsin State Census Identifies head of household by name.
- 1885 - Wisconsin State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch — index and images. Search indexed census. Identifies by name of head of household. Other information is statistical and identifies the rest of the household by race, gender and country of birth.
- 1895 - Wisconsin State Census, 1895 at FamilySearch — index and images. Identifies head of household by name. Other information is statistical.
- 1905 - Wisconsin State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — Name index and images of population. Enumerates by name all inhabitants.
- 1840-1930 - Links to Census Records by Township USGenWeb Archives
Church History and Records
- List of Churches of Winnebago County WIGenWeb project
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Oshkosh, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Records of the Lutheran Church, Winnebago County, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
First Presbyterian Church, Neenah
- Church Records USGenWeb Archives
Crime and Criminals
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
Wisconsin Land Patents Database, Winnebago County
- Surnames A-C USGenWeb Archives
- Surnames D-G USGenWeb Archives
- Surnames H-K USGenWeb Archives
- Surnames L-O USGenWeb Archives
- Surnames P-S USGenWeb Archives
- Surnames T-Z USGenWeb Archives
Military History and Records
- Winnebago County in the Civil War as taken from the Roster of Wisconsin Volunteers, War of the Rebellion, 1861-1865 WIGenWeb project
Civil War service men from Winnebago County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are many companies or regiments that were formed from men of Winnebago County.
- - 1st Regiment, Wisconsin Cavalry, Companies D and E.
- - 3rd Regiment, Wisconsin Cavalry, Companies A and B.
- - 5th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry Reorganized, Companies E and K
- - 9th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company C
- - 10th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company C (These men were from the town of Menasha. There is a town of Menasha in both Winnebago and Calumet Counties.)
- - 11th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company K
- - 14th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company C
World War I
- Winneconne and Vicinity, Boys in U.S. Service as listed in the Winneconne Local, October 24, 1918. WIGenWeb project
World War II
Winnebago County WWII Enlistees - Entry lists date and place of enlistment.
- Names ABRAHAM CURTIS J - BYRHOLDT CHESTER H USGenWeb Archives
- Names CABELKA EDWARD - FIERKE WILLIAM J USGenWeb Archives
- Names FINCH HAROLD E - HOKS GLEN A USGenWeb Archives
- Names HOLDREN EDWARD J - LANSING ROBERT J USGenWeb Archives
- Names LARSEN ROBERT P - NELSON ROY A USGenWeb Archives
- Names NEMITZ EARL W - RICHTER RUDOLPH R USGenWeb Archives
- Names RIEDHAUSER RICHARD F - SPORE JACK L USGenWeb Archives
- Names SPRAGUE KENNETH R - WAHLGREN HARRY W USGenWeb Archives
- Names WAITE EARL V - ZWICKY ROBERT H USGenWeb Archives
Naturalization and Citizenship
- Appleton Public Library Obituary Index which is located on the Fox River located in Outagamie, Calumet and Winnebago Counties. A partial index to obituaries and death notices published in Appleton newspapers. Currently, records are available for the following time periods. There are complete records for 1853-71; 1874; 1920-22; 1939-42; 1944; 1948-52; 1958-1960; 1970; 1980; 1981; 1992-94, and January 1, 2001 to December 6, 2011. Some records from 1848; 1875; 1889; 1899; 1923; 1930; 1945; 1954; 1957; 1969; 1971-73; 1981; 1982; 1987; and 1991 have been indexed.
- Winnebago County Obituaries, A-H USGenWeb Archives
- Winnebago County Obituaries, I-Q USGenWeb Archives
- Winnebago County Obituaries, R-Z USGenWeb Archives
- 1800 – 1987 Wisconsin Wills and Probate Records 1800-1987 at Ancestry.com — images and index $
- 1848 – 1948 Wisconsin Probate Estate Files 1848-1948 at FamilySearch — images
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Area Research Center
University of Wisconsin, Oshkosh
800 Algoma Blvd.
Oshkosh, WI 54901
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Winnebago County Historical & Archaeological Society
234 Church Ave, Oshkosh, WI 54901
Hmong Cultural and Historical Society
502 Waugoo Ave
Oshkosh, WI 54901
Menasha Historical Society
233 Sunset Dr
Menasha, WI 54952
Neenah Historical Society
PO Box 343
Neenah, WI 54957-0343
Omro Area Historical Society
PO Box 133
Omro, WI 54963
Winchester Area Historical Society
PO Box 84
Larsen, WI 54947
Winnebagoland Genealogical Society
106 Washington Ave
Oshkosh, WI 54901-4985
Winneconne Historical Society
PO Box 262
Winneconne, WI 54986
- 1826 - 1926 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings, 1826-1926 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820 - 1907 Wisconsin, Birth Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1826 - 1908 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings Index, 1826-1908 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1836 - 1930 Wisconsin, Marriages, 1836-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1973 - 1997 Wisconsin, Marriage Index, 1973-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1973 - 1997 Wisconsin Marriages, 1973-1997 at Ancestry.com — index/images $
- 1885-1917 Winnebago County Marriage Announcements USGenWeb Archives
- 1867 - 1907 Wisconsin, Death Records, 1867-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1835 - 1968 Wisconsin, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1968 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820 - 1907 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1959 - 1997 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1959-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- Winnebago County, WI History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Area Research Center University of Wisconsin, Oshkosh
- Winnebago County WIGenWeb project
- Winnebago County Archives USGenWeb Archives
- The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 760 Winnegago, Wisconsin.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).