Wiveliscombe, Somerset Genealogy
Guide to Wiveliscombe, Somerset ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Wellington|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1598|
|Diocese||Bath and Wells|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of the Prebend of Wiveliscombe with Fitzhead|
|Location of Archive|
|Somerset Record Office|
WIVELISCOMBE (St. Andrew), a market-town and parish, in the union of Wellington, W. division of the hundred of Kingsbury, W. division of Somerset, 28 miles (W.) from Somerton, and 155 (W. by S.) from London. Here is a place of worship for Independents.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Wiveliscombe St Andrew parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|MARR = Somerset Marriages (findmypast) - (£)|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|SOPC = Somerset Online Parish Clerks - free|
|Wiveliscombe St Andrew Parish Online Records|
Wiveliscombe St Giles parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Wiveliscombe St Giles Parish Online Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474601.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Somerset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Date accessed and adapted: 27 September 2013.
- 'Somerset Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 17 October 2013.
- 'IGI Batch Numbers for Somerset, England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 21 October 2013.
- 'Somerset Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 18 October 2013.
- 'Somerset Marriages', findmypast (WayBack Machine), accessed 29 April 2014.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 17 October 2013.
- Somerset Online Parish Clerks Genealogy, accessed 22 October 2013.