Woodford County, Kentucky Genealogy
Guide to Woodford County, Kentucky ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Woodford County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||November 12, 1788|
- 1 Woodford County Kentucky Courthouse
- 2 Woodford County Kentucky History
- 3 Woodford County Kentucky Places/Localities
- 4 Woodford County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
- 4.1 African American
- 4.2 Cemeteries
- 4.3 Census
- 4.4 Church
- 4.5 Court
- 4.6 Genealogy
- 4.7 Land
- 4.8 Local Histories
- 4.9 Maps
- 4.10 Military
- 4.11 Miscellaneous
- 4.12 Newspapers
- 4.13 Obituaries
- 4.14 Probate
- 4.15 Taxation
- 4.16 Vital Records
- 5 Woodford County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 6 Woodford County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- 7 Woodford County Ketnucky Genealogy References
Woodford County Kentucky Courthouse
Woodford County Kentucky History
For animated maps illustrating Kentucky county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Kentucky County Boundary Maps" (1776-1939) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1965--A disaster destroyed most of the records.
Woodford County Kentucky Places/Localities
|Faywood||McKees Crossroads||Nugent Crossroads||Wallace|
Woodford County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- [Kentucky_Minorities|Kentucky Minorities]] has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
The following web sites have additional information on Woodford county cemeteries.
- Interment.net Kentucky cemetery records by county.
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
- ePodunk list of Woodford County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and website.
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
|Source: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau.|
1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910, 1920, and 1930 federal population schedules of Woodford County are available online. For tips on accessing census records online, see Kentucky Census. If you're having trouble finding your ancestors in online indexes, try checking printed indexes. Created by local experts familiar with the area's families, these indexes are often transcribed more accurately than online nationwide indexes.
See Kentucky Population Schedule Indexes: Fiche, Film, or Book for more information about statewide printed indexes.
1790 - Lost, but a substitute is available, see Taxation.
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Ashby] Crozier, William Armstrong. The Buckners of Virginia and the Allied Families of Strother and Ashby. New York: The Genealogical Association, 1907. Digital version at Google Books - free.
- [Blackburn] Buford, Marcus Bainbridge. A Genealogy of the Buford Family in America, With Records of a Number of Allied Families. San Francisco, Calif., 1903. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.
- [Blanton] Peters, Norman R. "Benjamin Robinson of Caroline County, VA. But Not the Clerk!" The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 48, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 2004):57-75; Vol. 48, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 2004):120-139. Digital version at American Ancestors ($).
- [Buford] Buford, Marcus Bainbridge. A Genealogy of the Buford Family in America, With Records of a Number of Allied Families. San Francisco, Calif., 1903. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.
- [Dale] Daniels, Almon E. A Workbook on the Dale Families of Virginia: With Particular Reference to the Branch Which Moved from the Northern Neck of Virginia to Woodford County, Kentucky and with Notes on the Related Families of Dodson, Goad, Hanks, Phillips, Sydnor, etc. Arlington, Va.: A. E. Daniels, 1958. FHL Book 929.273 D152dae
- [Dawkins] Prewitt, Lela Wolfe. The Dawkins and Stewart Families of Virginia and Kentucky. [Fairfield, Iowa: Prewitt], 1968. FHL Book 929.273 D322p.
- [Flournoy] Rivers, Flournoy. "The Flournoy Family," The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. 2, No. 1 (Jul. 1894):81-90; Vol. 2, No. 2 (Oct. 1894):190-213; Vol. 2, No. 3 (Jan. 1895):318-327; Vol. 2, No. 4 (Apr. 1895):437-447; Vol. 3, No. 1 (Jul. 1895):67-79; Vol. 3, No. 4 (Apr. 1896):414-416; Vol. 4, No. 1 (Jul. 1896):97-101. Digitized by JSTOR - free.
- [Holman] Utermohlen, William J. The Holman Family of Kent County, Maryland and Woodford County, Kentucky: A Preliminary Study. Alexandria, Va.: W.J. Utermohlen, 1993. FHL Book 929.273 H731u
- [Hughes] Miller, Margaret Hardwick and Fredna Tweedt Irvine. Rowland Hughes (1756-1809); Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Woodford and Logan counties, Kentucky. Typescript, Mendocino County Historical Society, Ukiah, Calif. Microfilmed 1990: FHL Film 1710474 Item 11.
- [Lee] Hall, Newman Arnold. "Allerton of Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 32, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1988):83-92; Vol. 32, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1988):171-178; Vol. 32, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1988):287-296; Vol. 33, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1989):13-18; Vol. 33, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1989):94-102; Vol. 33, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1989):175-180. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 32 (1988)-v. 33 (1989).
- [McCord] McCord Collection of Family Papers (Woodford Co., Ky Families) McCord & Related Families. MSS., Woodford County Historical Society, Versailles, Ky. Microfilmed 1990: FHL Film 1731045
- [Minter] Harper, Lillie DuPuy VanCulin. Colonial Men and Times: Containing the Journal of Col. Daniel Trabue, Some Account of His Ancestry, Life and Travels in Virginia and the Present State of Kentucky During the Revolutionary Period; the Huguenots, Genealogy, with Brief Sketches of the Allied Families. Philadelphia, Pa.: Innes & Sons, 1916. Digital version at Internet Archive; FHL Film 1421709 Item 2.
- [Pittman] Harper, Lillie DuPuy VanCulin. Colonial Men and Times: Containing the Journal of Col. Daniel Trabue, Some Account of His Ancestry, Life and Travels in Virginia and the Present State of Kentucky During the Revolutionary Period; the Huguenots, Genealogy, with Brief Sketches of the Allied Families. Philadelphia, Pa.: Innes & Sons, 1916. Digital version at Internet Archive; FHL Film 1421709 Item 2.
- [Robinson] Peters, Norman R. "Benjamin Robinson of Caroline County, VA. But Not the Clerk!" The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 48, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 2004):57-75; Vol. 48, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 2004):120-139. Digital version at American Ancestors ($).
- [Shipp] Sanders, Walter R. The Shipp Genealogy from Essex, Caroline, Fa[u]quier Counties, Virginia, to Green, Taylor, Woodford, Jefferson, Fayette, Christian, Bourbon, Scott, Owen, Counties, Kentucky, and Johnson Counties, Indiana. 1946. FHL Book 929.273 Sh64s
- [Stevenson] Stevenson, Margaretta. Stevenson Family History: From the Eastern Shore of Maryland (Old Somerset, Renamed Worcester County) to Woodford County, Kentucky to Putnam County, Indiana with Allied Families. New York: Margaretta Stevenson, 1985. FHL Book 929.273 St48sm
- [Strother] Owen, Thomas McAdory, "William Strother of Virginia and His Descendants," Publications of the Southern History Association, Vol. 2, No. 1 (Apr. 1898):149-173. Digitized by Internet Archive.
- [Strother] Roberts, Gary Boyd. Ancestors of American Presidents. Boston, Mass.: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2009. FHL Book 973 D2r 2009; online bookstore.
- [Sublett] Harper, Lillie DuPuy VanCulin. Colonial Men and Times: Containing the Journal of Col. Daniel Trabue, Some Account of His Ancestry, Life and Travels in Virginia and the Present State of Kentucky During the Revolutionary Period; the Huguenots, Genealogy, with Brief Sketches of the Allied Families. Philadelphia, Pa.: Innes & Sons, 1916. Digital version at Internet Archive; FHL Film 1421709 Item 2.
- [Taylor] Hall, Newman Arnold. "Allerton of Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 32, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1988):83-92; Vol. 32, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1988):171-178; Vol. 32, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1988):287-296; Vol. 33, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1989):13-18; Vol. 33, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1989):94-102; Vol. 33, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1989):175-180. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 32 (1988)-v. 33 (1989).
- [Taylor] Roberts, Gary Boyd. Ancestors of American Presidents. Boston, Mass.: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2009. FHL Book 973 D2r 2009; online bookstore.
- [Trabue] Buford, Marcus Bainbridge. A Genealogy of the Buford Family in America, With Records of a Number of Allied Families. San Francisco, Calif., 1903. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.
- [Violett] Dean, H. Clark. "Thornton Violett: Two Men or One?" National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 91 (March 2003):31-39. FHL Book 973 B2ng v. 91 (2003)
- [Wilson] McCrary, Patti Sue. Wilson Families in Cumberland County, Virginia, and Woodford County, Kentucky: With Correspondence and Other Papers, 1785-1849. Westminster, Md.: Willow Bend Books, 2005. FHL Book 929.273 W691mp
- [Witherspoon] Witherspoon, Martinette Viley. My Ancestors: A Brief Account of the Ancestry of Lister Witherspoon and His Wife Martinette Viley of Woodford County, Kentucky. Washington, D.C.: C.H. Potter, 1922. FHL Film 1454554 Item 1
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kentucky Land and Property for additional information about early Kentucky land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Woodford County, Kentucky Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
- Maps of Kentucky (1776-1939)
- KYGenWeb compiled list of maps
- Click on the county to go to the KYGenWeb site
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- 1861-1865 - Kentucky Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Kentucky Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1912-1950 - Kentucky Confederate Pension Applications 1912-1950 at FamilySearch — index and images
World War I
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soldiers from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- KY Postcards Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Woodford County, Kentucky Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
Probate records are held by the Woodford County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Woodford County, Kentucky Genealogy Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Kentucky, Probate Records, 1792-1977. See the wiki page Kentucky Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Online Probate Records
- 1774 – 1999 Kentucky Wills and Probate Records 1774-1999 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1727 – 1990 Kentucky Probate Records 1727-1990 at FamilySearch — images
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more background information and state-wide resources see the wiki page Kentucky Taxation.
- 1790 - Heinemann, Charles B. "First Census" of Kentucky 1790. Washington, D.C.: n.p., 1940. 1981 reprint: FHL US/CAN 976.9 X2ph 1981; digital version at Kentucky Kinfolks. ["2 volumes of 1790 were used." (p. 2)]
- 1800 - 1800 Tax List of Woodford County, Kentucky Genealogy is included in Clift's Second Census of Kentucky 1800, digitized by Ancestry ($).
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Kentucky enacted a statute in 1852-1862 requiring registration of births and deaths,many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1874-1879, and 1892-1910 but, again, was not always followed. By 1911, the law was more clearly defined and kept by 1920. Any existing births 1852-1960 and death records 1852-1953 can be accessed online. See How to Find Kentucky Birth Records and How to Find Kentucky Death Records for links to indexes and images.
Original marriage records are held at the office of the Woodford County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk, with divorce records 1849-1958 located with the Woodford County, Kentucky Genealogy Circuit Court. For more information see How to Find Kentucky Marriage Records. For Kentucky divorce records see the wiki page Kentucky Vital Records. See also How to order Kentucky Vital Records
- 1839-1960 - KY Births and Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- 1852-1861 - Woodford County Birth Index 1852-1861. Batch C518091 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874 - Woodford County Birth Index 1874. Batch C518092 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1875-1876 - Woodford County Birth Index 1875-1876. Batch C518093 at FamilySearch - free.
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths and Marriages
- 1783-1979 - KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- 1788-1851 - Record of Marriages, Woodford County, Kentucky for the Period of Years 1788 to 1851 Inclusive. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- 1797-1954 - Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1852-1862 - Woodford County Marriage Index 1852-1862. Batch M518091 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1874-1876 - Woodford County Marriage Index 1874-1876. Batch M518094 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1876-1877 - Woodford County Marriage Index 1876-1877. Batch M518095 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1973-2000 - Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths and Marriages
- 1843-1970 - KY Deaths and Burials ~ KY Deaths and Burials 1843 - 1970
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths and Marriages
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
- 1973-1993 - KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
Woodford County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Woodford County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- Woodford County, KY History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kentucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Woodford County KY Genealogy (Kentucky Genealogy)
Woodford County Ketnucky Genealogy References
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Wolfe County, Kentucky page 276, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- G. Glenn Clift, Second Census of Kentucky 1800: A Privately Compiled and Published Enumeration of Tax Payers Appearing in the 79 Manuscript Volumes Extant of Tax Lists of the 42 Counties of Kentucky in Existence in 1800 (1954; reprint, Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2005).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/7/75/Igikentuckymz.pdf.