Woodley, Primitive Methodist, Cheshire Genealogy
The Primitive Methodist church was an early 19th century (1807) secession from the Wesleyan Methodist church and was particularly successful in evangelising agricultural and industrial communities at open meetings. In 1932 the Primitive Methodists joined with the Wesleyan Methodists and the United Methodists to form the Methodist Church of Great Britain.
Woodley is a suburban area of the Metropolitan Borough of Stockport, in Greater Manchester, North West England. It lies on the east side of the Peak Forest Canal, next to the areas of Bredbury and Romiley. It is on the boundary with Gee Cross, in Tameside.
Historically a part of Cheshire, the name Woodley translates to 'a clearing in the wood', and is named so because the area contains a lot of woodland.
Woodley Methodist Church
The Primitive methodist church was built in 1868. Records are found in the Manchester Archives and Greater Manchester County Record Office.
The modern church is part of a local Stockport Methodist Church circuit of five churches and has a cafe and is used by a variety of community groups.
Woodley- Primitive Methodist
Baptisms-1852-1911- Archives C19/2
Marriages-1871-1955- Archives C19/2
The Manchester Room and Greater Manchester County Record Office
The Manchester Room@City Library (Local Studies)
http://www.woodleymethodists.org.uk/ Church website